Help on Truecrypt partition

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Andy Ng, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Ng

Andy Ng Registered Member

I am having a hard losing my important data on truencrypt volume.
    I tried the Testdisk and many methods, but nothing works.

The drive cannot be "initialize" in windows, it wills say "I/O error". Restore embed header will also say "I/O Error".

Do you think it is just the drive is physically dead or Truencrypt had some problem.
    It happened when I tried to save a file, then it said "I/O error", at that time, I am still able to read, but cannot write.
    After rebooting, I m no longer can mount it and the partition under the volume is no longer there. The whole disk show "unallocated".

Please help!
    Many thanks!

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

It sounds like your drive or the drive interface is failing in some way, but if you can still read from it then I suggest immediately cloning the entire drive onto another hard disk and then trying to access your TrueCrypt volume from there. Perform a sector-by-sector clone of the entire disk using imaging software. If there are problems due to bad sectors, etc., then you might have to use a specialized program such as ddrescue, which is designed to skip over bad sectors and then retry them multiple times afterwards, after it has copied over the easily-recoverable portion of the data.

PS: You might not want to "initialize" the drive, depending on the type of volume. A fully-encrypted disk (that is, a disk which has not been partitioned) should never be initialized, as doing so will overwrite the TrueCrypt volume header.

3. BeardyFace

BeardyFace Registered Member

Is this an internal or external drive? It's worth checking the cabling, sometimes something as silly as powering off then unplugging and reseating the SATA cable can cure something like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.