Help - new spyware problems

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by deedindeed, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deedindeed

deedindeed Registered Member

Hello,

I just typed in whole message, and then lost it. Bummer. Anyway, glad to have found this forum.

I am starting to have adware and spyware problems...tons of spyware when I run PestPatrol and getting popups even tho Zone alarm is on and set to block them. Never had these kinds of problems before...really. I just got cable modem (could that be it?) and yesterday, my NAV, PestPatrol and Zonelab 4.0 Pro got turned off for about 5 hours by mistake and it looks like some of the files in the folder below were created yesterday.

I have discovered some files in my local settings\temp folder that look suspicious. One is called VSN.exe (from WhenU.com) and many other .tmp files like IncrediFind.BHOlog.temp, etc. XP won't let me delete this exe file...says it is running. PestPatrol didn't detect these files.

Also, in one of your links (boards.cexx.org) it says to download Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. Do you think I need these in addtion to the Pest Patrol? I am seriously considering doing this, just wonder if they will interfere with each other.

Do I need to run HiJackThis before anyone can help?

I am only adequately literate when it comes to anything too complicated, without step-by-step instructions.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this under control. Hope you can help.

Thanks much,
    Nancy

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi deedindeed :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Please follow the instructions at this link,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

then post a HighjackThis log.

snowbound

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I would also like to address some of your other questions.

Having all your protection shut down for 5 hrs, depending on internet activity has the potential for all kinds of malware to get on your system.

I do not use PestPatrol but i do use Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster.
    They all get along fine and give me very good protection
    against a great assortment of malware. They are all excellent apps. :) I personally woudn't be without them.

As for cable modem, IMHO is safe as long as u have good defenses and a little common sense ;)

Hope this helps

snowbound

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Deedindeed

I have Pest Patrol but I use Spybot and Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster more often (especially for spyware/adware issues). In any case, I do sometimes use PestPatrol and have encountered no compatibility issues with the others

Regards,

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.