Help! Network detection in vista slowed to a crawled

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by hotdog10, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotdog10

hotdog10 Registered Member

Hi,

i just downloaded the trial copy of the software and it slowed down my MS vista business' bootup network detection time by alot.

I already tried uninstalling it but the slowing down persist, which service/ changes was made by it.. i need to disable it to resume the network detection speed.

details:

before installing, whenever log in to windows, the network will already be detected. but after installing( & uninstalling) ess , after i log in the network connection tray icon would have a red cross until at last 4-5 mins later before it will turn blue to signify network is detected.

the detection time has significantly increased alot.. how do i resume back the original fast detection speed.

help

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi there

Had this problem for ages - the workstation service doesn't get along with ekrn. You can disable it, but that's hardly practical.

Try unchecking "automatically detect network settings" under LAN in Internet Options.

Hope this does the trick - it did for me in that my box only freezes for a few seconds rather than minutes now on boot.

Philby

3. hotdog10

Hi Philby,

thanks for the tip but it still not work, netwrok detectin timing is around 4-5 mins, the 2 computer icon appears wit ha red cross until then before it turns into a globe button too. it wasn't like that before installing ESS

i alr tried uninstalling ESS but the prob still persists.. ESS must have made certain changes/settings to my com. someone pls advice..

thamnks

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Only the ndis and tdi drivers can affect network. However, if the ndis driver is uninstalled improperly, you would lose network connectivity. Try using WinsockFix and then reinstalling ESS. I reckon it should work under Vista, but I can't tell for sure now.

5. hotdog10

hi,
    i read from another forum
    'The 3rd party freeware application Winsockfix is for WinXP.
    Vista is suppose to self correct the Winsock, run the Network Diagnosis
    process and see what it says.'

i ran a diagnose but no errors was fault, but network detection is still v slow.

any other more specific 'Services' i can try disabling/enabling to see if it helps?

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.