Help needed!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Bio-Hazard, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I am having a bit of a problema with FDISR. I have 3 snapshots, primary secondary and test snapshot. I use external harddrive to put my archives. Put everytime i try to update excisting archive. FDISR start to hang when it was suppose to transfer the data. Nothing happens, you cannot even shut program. I havee to use taskmanager to stop it. Any advice would be welcomed?

I can make new archives without any problems. I can also copy/update from primary to secondary. External harddrive is Freecom 500gb. FDISR is using VSS not RSS.

Thaks in advance!

Kristian

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Kristian

As a first step I would try changing it to RSS. Do you have any other programs running VSS. There used to be an issue but that was fixed, at least with ShadowProtect.

Pete

Are there any error's in the log file.

3. Bio-Hazard

This might stupid question but how do i chechk if i have other programs using VSS? Sorry! I have PowerShadow. There is no error messages in the log file! I forgot....we had a power cut recently and my computer was on. Would that have any affect?

Thanks

Kristian

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Are your harddisks still good ?

5. Bio-Hazard

Harddisk is working fine. I have been able to put a archive on it, but i cannot update it!

Thanks

Kristian

6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Have you tried cycling the power? Turn your box & HDD off (not re-start). Wait 30secs or so and then back on.

Check your error logs in FD-ISR.

...screamer

7. Bio-Hazard

I have done that, no change. I am just thinking do i need reinstall FDISR or is there something wrong with the external harddrive? There are no error messages in the FDISR log.

Kristian

8. Peter2150

Hi Kristian

There is a post on the storagecraft forum, that will help you determine if your VSS is working properly. I can't reach the site right now but the link to the forum is here

Pete

9. Bio-Hazard

Thanks Peter!

I tried it but i cant there either. I will give it a try later!

Kristian

10. screamer

Here's something you may want to try:

Attached Files:

11. Bio-Hazard

Thanks screamer for that, I did what you said but i didnt work. I can make new archives,but i cant update them at all. Should i contact raxco?

Kristian

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It sounds like everything is OK except the one archive that won't update. I would take the simplistic approach first, and delete that archive, then make a new one and see if that one updates OK. ;)

13. Bio-Hazard

I have deleted 3 and made 3 new ones. Still it wont update the archive on my external harddrive. I can copy the archive from my external harddrive to my snapshot.

Thanks!

Kristian

14. screamer

There's one thing you can try before contacting Raxco:

click |Help| click |About| click |Support Info|click "Include Detailed Logs" for as many days since the issue began. (They're long logs) click |OK|

This will put a logfile on your desktop. You can go through it to see if you notice anything outa whack.

...screamer

15. Bio-Hazard

Thanks screamer!

I will look into that. Everything else works fine except i cant update my excisting archives. o_O

16. ErikAlbert

Can you update archives on your internal harddisk ?
    If you can, your external harddisk is the trouble.
    If you can't it must be another problem.

17. Peter2150

Hi Kristian

Have you tried creating a new archive on the external drive, and then updating that. If that works, it just means the other archive got corrupted.

I have found about once every one to two months I delete the archives and rebuild them. Reason I do is the time finalizing keeps increasing as the internal structure of the archive changes with additions and deletions. If you notice you will see the archive will grow, but never shrink.

Pete

18. Bio-Hazard

Hello Erik!

I dont have any archives on my internal harddrive. I only have 3 snapshot on my cdrive and i can use them without any problems. I will try to create a archive to my d drive tonight and see how it goes.

Kristian

19. Bio-Hazard

Yes i have and same thing happened again. I can copy from the archives (external harddrive) to my primary and secondary snapshots. It is really a mysteryo_O

Should i reinstall FDISR or reformat my external harddrive?

Thanks

Kristian

20. ErikAlbert

That doesn't mean you can't try.
    You only have to change Tools/Options/Archives to define an archive folder on your internal harddisk and all your archives will be created in this folder.

If your internal harddisk has no problem with updating archives, you KNOW for SURE that your external harddisk is the trouble.

If your internal harddisk also has problems with updating archives, than it is ANOTHER problem.
    If uninstalling FDISR without removing snapshots + re-installing FDISR doesn't solve the problem, you have a more serious problem.
    If uninstalling FDISR with removal of snapshots + re-installing FDISR doesn't solve the problem, you have again a more serious problem.
    Maybe Windows is the problem and then you have to repair Windows OR restoring an IMAGE might solve the problem.

You have to do this SYSTEMATICALLY and exclude possible reasons one by one.

21. Bio-Hazard

Thanks Erik. You were right! I just came home work and i was able to try to make archive to my internal harddrive (d drive) and it worked. So the problem is my external harddrive. Should i reformat this external harddrive and see if that helps? I just have to make some adjustments where to put my archives now.

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THEIR HELP!!

KRistian

22. ErikAlbert

Now we are getting closer to fix the problem.
    I would format my external harddisk and see if the problem is fixed.
    If not, I assume you have hardware problem, but let us first try format and post back if you have still a problem.

23. Bio-Hazard

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate the help that i have received! I will do the reformat tomorrow. I am too tired to do it today! I am happy that we are making progress and i can easily use my other internal harddrive to put my archives on.

Kristian

24. Bio-Hazard

Problem fixed :D . I reformated my external harddrive and now it is working again!!

Thanks everybody!

Kristian

25. Peter2150

HOORAY!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.