Help needed with Outlook Express problem!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jo Ann, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

I have a problem with Outlook Express (latest version), which up to yesterday was working perfectly. There are two email accounts on OE, one for each of our two logins, mine and my son's. While I am able to download new messages to OE's Inbox on my account, all of a sudden messages will not download on my son's account (although webmail shows he has emails on the ISP's server waiting to be downloaded).

When he clicks on Send/Receive, he gets an OE error message to the effect that OE failed to allocate sufficient memory. Googling for that error seems to indicate that the problem is insufficient disk space, but that can't be it because the hard drive has over 9GB free! Besides which, there is no such problem when I login to the PC, open OE and download my emails. :doubt:

I'd be grateful for any help/advice.

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

3. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Thanks Jim, but the problem persists after trying those suggestions. Fwiw, I use Rollback Rx and if I restore Rollback's snapshot of yesterday morning, the problem disappears and OE works just fine for both accounts.

I may 'permanently' rollback to yesterday's snapshot to quickly and simply remedy the problem (neither my son or I would suffer much of a hardship in doing that), but I'd sure like to know what caused this problem. :doubt:

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Did the PC choke on a Windows update, maybe?

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

JoAnn, the Lord and Microsoft work in mysterious ways. It's not always possible to understand why things happen the way they do. That's the beauty of Rollback Rx; as you noted, it can simply and quickly preclude the problem as if it never happened!

Btw, Rollback will also allow you to restore your most current OE email (.dbx) files back into yesterday's snapshot so that you won't lose any emails you received since then, but doing that may make your problem resurface if it was caused by corrupt emails! Doesn't hurt to try that, but before you do, take another snapshot as a safety measure.

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

That's not it Jim, I haven't updated anything since yesterday AM (when OE was working just fine).

pv, that's cute about the Lord and MS working in mysterious ways (and how true!). :D .....actually, I did exactly what you suggested and it worked perfectly. Rollback found my current dbx file and replaced yesterday's dbx file with the current one. Voila, it worked! So Rollback Rx saved the day (again)! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.