Help needed in setting up firewall to allow Squeezebox server to work

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Porschefan, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porschefan

Porschefan Registered Member

Hi,

I'm using a trial version of ESET Smart Security, because I've been listening to Leo Laporte's "Tech Guy" podcasts and he beats the drum pretty loudly for NOD32 and the cost of the Security Suite is just about the same as the AV protection... AND because I'd like to up my understanding of security to a level where I can actually use a more advanced firewall capability intelligently.

So, the first thing I need to do/understand is how to set up the Personal Firewall in ESET to allow my Squeezebox Radio (via Squeezebox server) work. Right after I installed ESET, the SBR stopped working. I'm able to get it back online only by disabling the ESET Personal Firewall completely. I found a thread here that discusses a fix, but it dates back to 2008 and the instructions there don't seem to fit the new version of ESET.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Porter
    Albuquerque, New Mexico

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Porschefan

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. Porschefan

Thanks for the quick followup. Apparently I hadn't really gotten ESET into "Learning Mode." There was a "Restart computer" dialog that opened in the background after I had turned on Learning Mode. Since restarting, I've seen a whole series of pop-up messages near the system tray saying that ESET SS is making up rules. The SBR is working, although it did just shut off a minute ago, but it came back on when I turned it back on.

The instructions for "Learning Mode" say that it shouldn't be left on indefinitely, but I'm not sure what mode to put it in when the "learning" stops. "Interactive Filtering," or "Policy-based Filtering." I probably don't know enough to start setting policies.... ;-).

Also--at what point do I assume that "learning" has done as much as it's going to do?

TIA.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

7. Porschefan

Mmmm. I read the entire section and it helps with the broad concepts. I guess what I want to do with my "network" is a) keep it as secure as I can from outside threats and b) understand it well enough so that I can figure out what's happening when something doesn't work.

That said, I shut off the "Learning Mode" and am now in "Automatic Mode with Exceptions." So far, so good. I looked into the rules list and there are quite a few rules that Learning Mode put in that seem to have to do with the programs that I use regularly. Somewhere in there must be a rule/exception to allow the Squeezebox Server and the SBR to communicate.

I've often wondered whether these personal firewalls can be useful for someone without any/much network training. I tried Kaspersky at one time and ended up shutting it off after it stopped something from working as it should. I feel like I should know more, hence this attempt to use ESET's version.

I don't see any "Firewall Configuration for Dummies" books around though ;-).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. Porschefan

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.