Help me with setting up a backup protocol

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by diehardfan, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diehardfan

diehardfan Registered Member

I have never used Acronis products before, so please go easy on me :( .

I need to backup 4 computers running windows XP, each computer has one physical hard drive partitioned into 2 drives, C: (60GB) and D: (170GB). C: contains system file and D: contains data files. I also have a file server on the network with about 750GB of space.

What I am thinking:

Create a 30GB Acronis Secure Zone on D:'s partition on each computer to create a full backup and then differential backup on both C: and D: separately. Differential backups will be taken care of by the "Scheduler Tasks" daily.

My concerns: I also want to backup the backup files in the Acronis Secure Zone onto the file server. Since I cannot access Acronis Secure Zone (none that I know) how can I copy the backup file and copy it onto the file server?

If you think I can set this up better please do recommend a different setup, I am open to different options.

Really appreciate your help and Thanks for reading.

2. beznsarah

beznsarah Registered Member

If you use workstation 9.1 you can install remote agents to manage all workstation from one location. You can also install the backup server component onto the fileserver so that every backup is automatically sent to the backup server.

I personally don't like the idea of using the Secure Zone because if the hard drives on the workstations crash then the backup to the local drive won't help you. I guess it depends on your situation if you need to frequently restore from backup for your situation it could make sense to have the secure zone in addition to the normal backup pointing to the backup server.

I've been playing with the workstation 9.1 and have not deployed it yet so hopefully someone else will give their opinion.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can't copy from the SZ and as beznsarah said it is useless if your drive dies.

IMO, best solution will cost you a few bucks but stick a second HD in each machine, it doesn't have to be a huge HD. Make your images to the second physical drive which is quite reliable unless somebody steals the machine since most HD failures are the disks themselves, not the controller. Copy selected backups to your file server as a second level backup. This is the way I do it.

Cheaper way is to use a USB external HD but with 4 machines this is cumbersome and requires human attention.

You can also image directly to the fileserver but you will find it a bit slow unless you have Gbit network and that is still slower than an internal HD. Also, you have to make sure you can recover from the fileserver. TI's recovery CD should be able to do it but do test it before you need it.

4. diehardfan

Thanks beznsarah and seekforever for replying.

Great point beznsarah about the HD dying, I dunno why it did not cross my mind...
    Thanks for bringing workstation 9.1 to my attention, I did not know about that. Looks like that is what I need.

The reason why I wanted to use Secure Zone was because I was afraid if the backup was on the network server, Acronics would not see the server during Acronis Startup Recovery.

seekforever, thats is a good option. But, because of the amount of work require I decided to go for a file server instead. as you mentioned I am a little worried about during recovery, acronis might not be able to access the network server.
    Anyone think that will be an issue?

Thanks

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It won't be an issue if you do what you should do!

That is you will create an archive on the fileserver and then you will boot up the recovery CD and configure it so it sees your fileserver and the archives on it. You will also make notes on anything you had to do to configure the recovery environment so you won't be wondering if it is right when you have a dead machine and are in panic mode.

Then you will validate an archive using the boot CD. The boot CD environment is Linux so it uses different drivers and application than when in Windows. Since the boot CD is what you use when you are dead in the water, it is essential that this environment be tested.

Then you will put a spare HD into your PC and you will restore the archive from the fileserver and make sure it works when the restore is done.

Only by restoring an archive to a spare disk do you know that your backup equipment and methods are good. (Re-read this paragraph.)

A tip: If you can't see the tib files on your server put in the location of them in the TI address box in the restore wizard using the UNC address method: \\servername\foldername\filename.tib

6. diehardfan

I was just looking through the manual of Workstation 9.1 before I buy it, I am confused by so many different installation option, which one goes into the 4 computer and which one for the server?

Thanks

7. beznsarah

On the 4 computers you will need the Remote agents only.

On the server you will need Management console and Backup Server. You don't need the Group server since you only have 4 pc's. You should also install the remote agent on the server if you want to back it up as well.

8. diehardfan

Thanks beznsarah for clearing that up. That helped.

Just to clarify things:

1. Acronis True Image Management Console -- I think I get this one, thx to beznsarah

2. Acronis True Image Agent -- I think I get this one, thx to beznsarah

3. Acronis Backup Server -- Is not this the same thing as Acronis True Image Management Console??

4. Acronis Group Server -- Is this if you have a company with 100 computers and each department needs different backup protocol, each department will be divided into groups with its own backup rules??

5. Acronis True Image Workstation (local version) –- Is this the same things as Acronic True Image HOME?

6. Acronis Universal Restore –- I do not need this one.

7. Acronis Bootable Rescue Media Builder - I think I know this one

In the user manual when it says "networked computer", in my case would it mean the 4 computers or the file server?

Again, thx for helping.

9. beznsarah

diehardfan, I'm glad I could be of some help. Answers to most of your questions:

#3. No, the backup Server is a component you will need to install on the server were you'd like the backups to reside. After you install it and launch your Management console, if you connect to your server you will be able to see an icon for Backup server which will give you various options to setup the backup server defaults.

#4 Correct, for lot's of computers

#5 Workstation is pretty much the same thing as HOME. In your situation you would not need it installed on anything because you'd be doing the same functions via the Management console and connecting the the 4pc's via remote agents.

#6 You do not need Universal Restore for now. However it the future if you ever need to restore an image do a different pc with different hardware, this will allow you to do that ! You can't do a restore to different hardware with most other applications including HOME.

I believe networked probably refers to one of 4pc's. It could refer to the server as well if you will be backing it up as well.

By the way, I have had problems with the Backup Server not working, see my post on that. Let me know if you are able to get around it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=166060

I'd recommend you download a trial version and give it a try that will help you understand the concepts above.

10. diehardfan

I will return the favor if I can too, beznsarah.

Btw, on the file server. I installed Management console and Backup Server and Remote agents on one of the computer, how come when I connect to the computer I do not see "Acronis Backup Server Management" ?? It jumps directly into the "Backup and Recovery Tasks" screen....

11. Tim_chase01

Tim_chase01 Registered Member

"boot up the recovery CD and configure it so it sees your fileserver and the archives on it."

1) What is a "recovery CD"
    2) how do you "configure" it so see your fileserver?
    3) is "boot CD" same as recovery CD?

12. diehardfan

anyone?
    thx

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello diehardfan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that it is not recommended to install Acronis Remote Agent on the machine Acronis Backup Server is installed.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tim_chase01,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Both terms "recovery CD" and "boot CD" relate to Acronis Bootable Rescue Media created on the CD media. You can find detailed information on how to configure net settings of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media in chapter "Network settings in rescue mode" of the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.