HELP ME "VirtualBOX Issue"

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by AvinashR, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I have a problem regarding VirtualBOX 3.2.8 r64453, Yesterday I have installed VBox in Windows 7 Ultimate (x86) and installed guest OS as Windows XP SP3, during my configuration i set my Network connection as Bridged networking... After completing everything i found that i was not able to connect my guest OS with internet, this is the first time it happened.

After changing my network settings from Bridged Networking to NAT, everything went fine. I was able to connect my guest OS with outside world (Internet) but in Bridged Networking all in vain, i was not able to connect with outside world. Now my question is, does anybody faced this problem with the new updated of VirtualBOX 3.2.8 r64453 ??

I have read few complaints about the new release..Many guys have raised the same issue on VirtualBox forum, but none of them got satisfactory reply. So could any of you help me out to find a perfect solution?

I have read that Bridged Networking is the safest way to test Malwares, but i wonder that there are two other modes in VirtualBOX, Host-only Networking and Internal Networking..

Internal Networking, is similar to bridged networking in that the VM can directly communicate with the outside world..

Host-only Networking is another networking mode.. It can be thought of as a hybrid between the bridged and internal networking modes: as with bridged networking, the virtual machines can talk to each other and the host as if they were connected through a physical Ethernet switch.

But i was not able to understand whether they are secure or trusted as Bridged Networking or Not? You guys are requested to kindly help me out....

2. AvinashR

41 people already saw this thread, but i guess NO genius is able to sort out my problem..

Anyways, i have saw something strange.. I ping www.google.com through my Guest OS (Bridged Network) and i got a ping response..but when i tried to connect the website, i was not able to connect it..

3. AvinashR

81 People saw this, but still no reply..Either you guys find it more difficult to sort out or not interested to help me out.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi AvinashR

I don't think people aren't replying because they don't want to help, just they don't know.

For example, myself, I use VMWorkstation VM machines so I am not familiar with Virtual Box. Also I use Nat networking so again, I can't help.

Hopefully someone can.

Pete

5. AvinashR

Its Okay Peter, i am only provoking my genius mates here so that they look into the matter... :)

BTW i have sorted out the issue "FINALLY" after 12 hours of continuous searching. Its AVAST IS which creating the issue, its firewall didn't allow my VMware Workstation and VirtualBOX to connect outside world through bridged networking... :ouch:

6. AvinashR

BTW don't you think NAT is unsafe for malware testing.. I heard that Bridged Networking is far more safe than NAT.

7. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Enable "internet sharing" or what they call it in firewall and bridged works.

8. AvinashR

Yeah i have already done it, and its working now.. Thanks for you support.

9. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

AvinashR

What is your security set-up? The reason I'm asking is for the simple fact that some firewall (host) can block a virtual operating system (guest) from accessing the Internet. I experienced the same problem with Outpost Security Suite 2009 when I was using Windows as my main operating system.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  10. Peter2150

I don't take any chances. When ever I play with malware in the virtual machine, I have all the drives on my host protected with Shadow Defender.

Pete

11. AvinashR

That's quite paranoid behavior ... Why don't you put VM into Shadow mode and apply SRP/AppLocker on HOST machine? This way you will be 99.99% protected.. :)

12. AvinashR

Hi Bro,

I am using Avast IS 5.0.594, and i have found that Avast firewall was blocking my guest OS http(s) connections.. Actually i was able to ping any website but i unable to open any website.. But now i sorted out the issue, and its working alright here. :)

Thanks

13. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I guessed right, somehow I kew it was a firewall related problem. Anyway, I'm glad it all worked out for you. :)

Take care.

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I use NAT in my vm and I don't consider it unsafe at all. The vm has no file access to the host system, and before I do any occasional malware testing, I simply change the vm fw rules from Alow to Block. You could also just pull the plug from the network.

Attached Files:

15. Peter2150

VM doesn't need shadow mode it has it's snapshot feature. I have MalwareDefender and OA on the host, but the Shadowmode is just a bit extra protection.

Doesn't hurt to be paranoid, when playing with live nasties.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.