Help me to build new security setup.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeNAS, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Hello!

Usually I reinstall windows every week but I want to quit that. So I need new security setup too. Here's list:

1. System Restore Software so I can make different restore points. Like clean Windows, Windows + Drivers, Windows + Drivers + Programs and so on.

2. Important File Backup Program. Just copy files to somewhere else.

Those two I really need. I have Buffalo Router with DD-WRT so I don't need any software firewall. AV (active and maybe residense too) is also quite unuseful and I haven't use any atm. What I really need is good HIPS, maybe some network control too. What else I need? Is there any point to use virtualization because I have those backup and restore programs? All hints are welcome even I say that I don't need AV you can still offer AV to me :D

Aah... I can use maximum 100$/year to those programs.

-MikeNAS

PS. Sorry about my english. It's not so good.

2. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

I know nothing about other product you say, and I say go with Bitdefender AV Plus 10, it's really strong and effective, and go along with Spyware Terminator, if not BD will keep you running along just fine.

3. MikeNAS

I forgot to say that I wanna light resource usage setup too. Bitdefender AV Plus 10 isn't maybe that?! My Windows XP iso image is only 80mb so I have done lots of works to remove all programs etc.

MikeNAS

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

You might want to just use SSM Full version. Sounds like it has everything you need in addition to your hardware based solution.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

"My Windows XP iso image is only 80mb"

No way!

And, "Usually I reinstall windows every week".

Why?

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd suggest you try firstdefence isr or rollback rx, they'd both cover #1 on the list.

If you have a seagate hard drive i'd suggest you try seagate discwizard, it would cover #2 on the list and not only backup your important files but your whole harddrive. And its free!

For hips you can try prosecurity free, it also gives you some network control.

For virtualisation you can try returnil, its free and allows you to mess around with your system safely.

7. MikeNAS

Yes I have Seagate laptop hard drive. I test that program. Any other good backup softwares? Farmerlee where I can download FirstDefence-ISR Trial? I reinstall Windows so often because I test lots of programs and so on. Now I wanna quit it. I have tested SSM Free, maybe I test Full version now.

-MikeNAS

Edit: Is that Seagate program just renamed something else or completely their own program?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

MikeNAS, the Seagate program is supposed to be a watered down version of Acronis True Image. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175492 This is an imaging program. I plan on installing this very soon myself.

FD-ISR has a forum here at Wilders. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84 This is a instant recovery type of program and is faster to restore than a full image. If both types of programs are used together, you would have a bulletproof and cool testing setup.

edited to add links

edit: To make backups of just files and folders to another location, Karen's Replicator is simple and effective.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1. FD-ISR for instant recovery and True Image for imaging.

2. SyncBack freeware

10. MikeNAS

I found that Leapfrog forum and homepage but is there any place to download trial version? I have to test all programs before buying because my windows is so customized.

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Here.
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/253715.ihtml

12. WSFuser

13. MikeNAS

So Leapgrog made that program and someone else sold it? What is this option if I want to buy it:

Annual Maintenance & Support - FirstDefense-ISR, 7.60 EUR
    - Free minor version updates, patches, builds to our software to stay current with the best technology
    - Unlimited support. Gold and premium clients can create unlimited support request tickets. Customer call-backs from our North Amercian technical support staff can be requested though our ticketing process.
    - Gauranteed response time. Within 24 hours from time of ticket initiation.
    - Priority "Gold" or "Premier" account created on our support portal system.
    - New product version discounts of 50%.
    - Priority response to technical support inquiries by a senior technical support representative(s)
    - Direct e-mail notification of free software updates including fixes, service releases, and documentation updates (release notes etc.)
    - Priority response to error reports.
    - Priority consideration for product suggestions to help us design the next version of Horizon DataSys products with the features that are most useful to our gold/premier customers

So if I don't take that I don't get those options? So then I have to pay 100% to new product version and I don't get free minor upgrades?

-MikeNAS

14. WSFuser

From the website it seems minor updates are free, but by getting teh maintenance program, you get instant notification when minor updates are released. Maybe someone can confirm that.

15. MikeNAS

I wait that someone else confirm that. All I want to know is there any good reason to pay that amount? I just get 25% discount so soon I test that program and choose what to do. If it works like a charm then I buy it. BTW that license is to that version. Any idea when new one is coming? I don't like the idea that I bought license now and after one month there comes new version.

EDIT: I like RollBack Rx too. Is there any idea to use both or is it better idea to use some imaging software with FD-ISR?

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Good you want to stop this bad practise but hurry because if you continue in that way and if you re-active Windows after every reinstall , soon or later the MS system will notify you that you have increased the limit for max activations and only Microsoft Customer Care representative will help you re-active then . In case you prove them you own legitimate copy of the OS and in case they want to play the game of re-activating every week , they can allow it . Otherwise , buy new copy of Windows ...

And by the way , if you think you can damage your Windows so much that it needs reinstallation so often , learn how to use Virtual Machines software (VMWare - paid , Microsoft Virtual PC - free) :thumb:

17. MikeNAS

I don't have to active Windows :D I know how to play with VM but now I'm seeking "final" setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.