Help me pick a external 56k serial modem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I have a internal winmodem. Doesn't work for linux.

Had a US Robotics Courier V.Everything External 56K Modem. Worked great in PCLinuxOS & XP. Bought it used on ebay for <$14. Lasted a month & a half. Oh well. I figure it was about 8yrs old. New they sell for $250. Ain't going that crazy.

So I need another external 56k serial modem.

What should I get? Budget is $20 or less delivered.

Heres my ideas in order of preference. I'll cite condition & price I can acquire. And a link for product, for descriptive purposes only if available.

#1 - Best Data 56SX92 SmartOne 56Kbps External Serial Modem - New for $20. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825138103

#2 - Zoom 56K dual mode external modem - Used for ~$15.

#3 - US Robotics Courier V.Everything External 56K Modem - Used for ~$15. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104004 Newer model pictured.

I think I have to go for the new Best Data. Otherwise the used ones are 4-9yrs old. What do you think? Any better deals? Thanks.

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

WoW what happened to the Courier, lightning ?

I use the Best Data and its excellent. I also have the Amigo AME-CA95. The Best Data uses the same chipset as the Amigo. Best Data modem works best in XP using the Amigo Driver

Based on price the Amigo is a better deal for what comes down to being the same modems. The Cendyne RS-232 (Serial Port) is another brand thats actually the same modem.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yeah I think lightening got it. And I had it plugged into a very good Tripp-Lite surge suppressor. Not a cheapie. But we got heavy lightening the other day.

I'm leaning towards the Best Data new from ebay for $20 delivered.

4. FastGame

Yep sometimes the phone lines aren't well protected on those surge protectors. I've been real busy this week (gets that way after lightning storms in Michigan) replacing modems.

The Best Data should be fine :)

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I had a Best Data too that worked with Linux good. At the time I was dual booting with XP and it caused a BSOD so I had to make sure it was turned off before I booted into XP (I had an internal winmodem to use with it).

I think most of the time modems get fried from voltage spikes from the phone lines themselves. I did install a phone line surge suppressor afterwards when lightning got the Best Data. However three months later I got satellite broadband so I never really got to test it.

6. FastGame

Thats why I told zapjb to use the Amigo driver, the driver supplied with the Best Data BSOD's XP and the Amigo AMe-CA95 Driver works a treat :)

7. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I wish I knew that back then, lol.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

So I'm waffling here. Afaik I need an external serial modem for PCLOS. But I don't want to blow $14-$35 5-7x a year on external modems. Losing them to lightening.

The benefits of an external modem are freed up CPU, PSU & less heat. I get 48-49.2kbps externally vs 37.2-42.6kbps internally.

I think an internal modem would be safe. My winmodem proves that. Course doesn't work for PCLOS.

My mobo is a ASUS A7N8X VM/400 using winmodem Broadxent V.92 PCI DI3631-1. But I don't know of any internal modem that works with PCLOS, anybody? Thanks.

9. FastGame

The only internal modems that I know are somewhat safe from lightning are Zoom's (ZoomGuard™ lightning protection). You were just unluky and the external got fried, or it was old and ready to die...

In my PC life I had 1 modem fried by lightning, it was an internal PCI (Linux compatible) USRobotics 56K* Performance Pro . It cost more than most externals ;)

Get the Best Data and unplug the phone line during storms, or buy a top end UPS.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Holy crud, $80.

As the post in the other says. I got a plan.

And my source for the Best Data has got bad reviews. The store not the modem.

Now I have to waittttttt.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I took your advice FG again. Got a good deal on a Zoom 3049 Fax Modem 56k V.92 Serial 3049-00-09C. Supposed to have the best lightning protection of any modem of it's kind. Considering lightning is the #1 killer of modems, my US Robotics got killed by lightning & I live in the lightening capital of the USA. I'm sure I made the right choice. Hopefully I'll get it by midweek.

...http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_external_serial.html...

Model 3049CF - PC V.92 56K Modem
    Includes Serial cable, includes Windows communications and fax software. The Model 3049CF is RoHS Lead free compliant.

The Zoom/Modem V.92 External Model 3049CF is a high performance 56K fax modem that plugs into the serial port of a computer using Windows, Macintosh, LINUX or UNIX operating systems. It also works with any device that can provide RS-232 signaling for Transmit, Receive, Ground. The 3049CF is ideal for use with point-of-sale devices and dumb terminals which do not provide DTE signaling. Robust power handling features including protection against brownouts and power glitches make this modem suitable for unattended remote applications.

Conforms to new, higher performance V.92 and V.44 standards
    Extended Status Reporting with indicators for V.92 connection and Modem-On-Hold
    Advanced Power Handling protects against brown outs and power glitches
    Caller ID support
    On-board Controller and DSP (Digital Signal Processor)
    High quality voicemail
    Supports V.80 video standard
    Features ZoomGuard™ lightning protection

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  12. FastGame

Hopefully you can go on another long happy streak without blowing modem :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.