help me i need a good av

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mantra, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Guest

Hi mates
    i need a good av
    i tried kaspersky,drweb , nod32 ,norton and avast and f-prot

i need an av that don't slow down my machine while i work with it
    and let me quite...

mantra

2. slimanno

slimanno Registered Member

try Panda

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Nod32 fastest AV there is, wont slow your system down and offers leading protection against latest threats, Microsoft use it, an thats a pretty good endorsement.

I use Nod32 on a daily basis, quite often it finds new_huer viruses (yet 2 be named/discoverd) on customer machines, with its advanced hueristics.
    It is the only AV i will recommed.

4. mantra

mantra Guest

ummm thanks

and what about avast? i'm using it now!

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hey mantra,

If you want something that would just give you decent VIRUS protection, then go for PC-cillin as it is very light. You can also go for CA eTrust which provides sufficient protection against trojans also (better than Trend anyway, thanks to PestPatrol acquisition). Both are very light on the system from my experience (I never EVER felt any system drag)

I'd say eTrust as I think its heuristic engine is better than Trend. Avast! has reasonable detection rates but the lack of heuristics might be bad. If you go around these forums, you might see that Avast! has some slowdown problems.

NOD32 is pretty good from what I see. Its signature database might not be as big as CA's, and it is targeted mostly at In-The-Wild threats, but most new threats are caght by its great heuristics engine (the best I might say) anyway. And it's very light.

If you are looking for something free, I'd say AntiVir PE as it has heuristics also and has good detection rates. And I read a review which said that it was not very heavy.

Hope that helped.

Cheers,
    Firecat

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you trialed all of the above, you would have found that at least 3 of these programs, Dr Web, NOD32 and F-Prot, are, if there are no incompatibilities with your system, all very 'light-footprint' AV's. IMO, even KAV 5 is not resource hungry as it is running quite happily on an ancient 400Mhz computer here.

Add Command AV to the three above and you have a good selection of low-resource AV's.

Test each one, then the choice is up to you.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

F-Prot is maybe light,but i found it the worst AV i have ever tested.
    Also detection is far below avast! and AntiVir. Configurability is non existent.
    I'm wondering how people can like program like this huh. I know i'll never install it again,thats for sure.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

RejZoR,

I agree that the lack of configuration options in F-Prot, particularly in the RTM in NT systems, is poor compared to other AV's.

However, its detection rates, while not on par with KAV, generally compensates for this; http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Therefore, I am a little surprised that you think its rate is below Avast and AntiVir. Any hard evidence of this?

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I used windows version (latest 3.16) and it missed everything i have thrown at it. Only two samples were detected. I also hardly ever see F-Prot to detect anything on Jotti. I don't know for others,but i was very very dissapointed with F-Prot since everyone was recommending it.

10. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

If NOD32 and AVAST are slowing you down then you might be disappointed with other AV's. NOD32 is the fastest, performance efficient AV I've tried. AVAST is pretty efficient also and doesn't slow me down in the least bit.

IMO AVAST is on the road to becoming a household word, factor in everything it has to offer and it's hard to beat.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

DrWeb is fast & very light. Also handles many runtime-packed stuff very well.

NOD is also fast & light, but on machines using Win9x or WinME, NOD uses more system resources than DrWeb. By "system resources" I am referring to the reading that a Win9x user gets by doing...
    WindowsKey + Pause/BreakKey > Performance Tab to read the "System Resources __% Free" value. NOD uses ~7% more than does DrWeb. If you are mainly a *surf-the-net* computer user, then that 7% difference won't amount to a pool of warm spit. However, if you are doing games, or heavy graphics, or business applications, then that 7% difference might loom larger.

By the way, the "System Resources" value will be totally unaffected by adding more RAM to a Win9x system. It is a limitation of the OS itself.

On the other hand, if you are running WinXP or Win2K then the above stated limitation is inapplicable. Thus, with respect to AV effectiveness, the choice between DrWeb & NOD is pretty much a toss-up, I think. However, with respect to support, NOD is probably better -- simply because of the superb support forum right here at Wilder's.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

as many ppl have already advised, NOD32 is the lightest if not one of the lightest AVs u can get, but it is also extremely configurable. deciding on an AV is a common question, but diff. ppl have diff. preferences, but u need to try multiple AVs and then decide which suits u best. However, i suggest u give NOD32 another shot, its a great AV and works well on slow computers.

13. mantra

mantra Guest

yes i know nod has a incredible score in virus buletin

but it hasn't a good score in trojan horse

for u mates , avast is a good av or not?

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes,avast! is very good AV.

15. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

On slow machines I would opt for Nod32 for virus protection, and BOClean to take care of any trojans which may slip through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.