help me find a firewall plz

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gatorade, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatorade

gatorade Registered Member

I'm just looking for something that's light on resources, passes the leaktests, allows you to see which applications have access to the internet and lets you choose to enable/disable their access. Something that will allow me to be connectable using utorrent is also a must.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If you have patience, then go with Jetico.

3. vhick

vhick Registered Member

for average user, go with comodo firewall.

after some learning, go for jetico because its for advance user...

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

For any user use Comodo.

5. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Outpost Pro is the way to go.... a solid firewall.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You don't just ask something like this lol. You'll be spamed!:D
    Comodo:-*

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Look'n'Stop.One process at around 7 meg and seems to fill all your other requirements.

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I like Zone Alarm, but the minute you said "light on resources" I would say that ZA may not be what you're looking for. I would take a good look at Online Armor's firewall. It is very light on resources. Some of the other suggestions (Outpost, Jetico, Comodo) are probably a little more mature in their development, but that may or may not be significant.

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Do you already have a hardware firewall/router? if not I would start there and perhaps add something like ProSecurity to handle outgoing.

10. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Jetico1 or outpost imo

11. beads

beads Registered Member

It really depends on how much you want to learn/fuss with a firewall. If your willing to put in the effort then Jetico would be the way to go.

- beads

12. ESQ_ERRANT

ESQ_ERRANT Registered Member

I tried several. I find Jetico1.0 to work best for me.

13. gatorade

would love to but I don't own the router heh

looks like theres 3 options, outpost, comado?, and looknstop

if theres no more, i'm gonna start a poll and just start trying them out based on popularity

14. gatorade

questions about kav's firewall (the one that comes with internet security)

"questions about kav's firewall (the one that comes with internet security)"

Is the firewall any good? Would it interfere with any other firewall I choose to install? If so, I shouldn't install the firewall that comes with kav and instead install the one I choose, correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  15. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Re: questions about kav's firewall (the one that comes with internet security)

Yes, correct. Using more then one firewall at the same time /machine is a bad idea. KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security) firewall is quite good, in my opinion.

Firewall Leak Tester rates it quite high!

16. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Why not try all three of them and see whats best for you? :) Popularity may not bet the answer for your needs.

17. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

18. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Re: questions about kav's firewall (the one that comes with internet security)

Is the firewall any good?

Alot of people don't like the firewall that comes with KIS, the test results show a different story best bet would be to try it for yourself.
    I don't have a problem with the firewall, I use everything with KIS except for the anti-spam feature.

Would it interfere with any other firewall I choose to install?

Yes, KIS not only has a firewall but other features such as PDM that will most likely interfere with another firewalll or some other behavior blocker/HIPS

If so, I shouldn't install the firewall that comes with kav and instead install the one I choose, correct?

Use whichever one you want, just dont enable the firewall feature if you decide to use KIS, you can always enable the firewall if you want to use it in the future.

19. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you want something free and lightweight then jetico 1 is the answer. I'm no firewall expert and i don't find jetico too hard to use. Yeah there are a lot of pop ups to begin with but after its all setup it runs great.

20. Ghost_ARCHER

Ghost_ARCHER Registered Member

Everyone should post the footprint of their firewall. These information is not available from firewallleaktester.com or matousec.com

Jetico version 1.0.1.61

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Many safe ones but only one can stay put and at any one time. LoL

Kerio 2.15 believer here for going on 3 years straight now, "BUT" as of today courtesy yesterday's new announcement, have completely transitioned over to the much acclaimed and now very popular C.O.M.O.D.O.........:thumb:

...and loving every minute of it. Light on resources but STRONG on Defense and Shielding. Plus offers a ton of information so you're not left groping in the dark as to who, what, why, where, and how. :D

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Easter2010 - Welcome to Comodo. I hope it's good for you. :D

23. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks. So do i.

I already went thru the pain and discomfort of firewall issues a few years ago with Zone Alarm and have never looked back. I'll continue to hold up Kerio 2.15 as one of the "Best" though outdated and much forgotten about firewalls to ever float around cyber-links as freeware, "BUT", times do change and advancements sooner or later surface that warrant absolute attention.

Looks like COMODO is gotten plenty of that lately. Did i mention a ton of posts proclaiming COMPLETE SATISFACTION also?

Nice effort COMODO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.