Help in removing AOL

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JElmWin, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JElmWin

JElmWin Registered Member

Greetings,
    I'm a former AOL subscriber. I switched to Road Runner and removed the AOL program. Recently I deleted a "backup" folder AOL had left on my desktop. Everyday thereafter a generic looking "backup" folder would appear on my dektop. I would delete it but at startup it would re-appear. Curious I performed an "AOL" search. Low and behold I had hundreds of AOL files still lurking. Even an old AOL7 program was hiding. I deleted that program but was unsure about deleting anything else just because AOL was in the title. Two of the largest files are marked AOLcoach and many of the remaining look like "AOLcoach" files. I tried copying the search to show you but the usual right-click didn't work. I have WINXP by the way.
    My question is; do you know of any list I could use to compare these files to?
    I have already removed the AOL folder from my registry.
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
    John

2. JElmWin

I think I might have figured this one out for myself. MSN had a post involving AOLcoachcab. I was able to safely remove my entire AOL search results. I also manually removed about 30 or so AOL registry entries. What a pain!
    Thanks to any one who might have tried to assist on this one.
    John

3. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

After the fact perhaps, but I use to have AOL on my system and I went to www.google.com to get insights as to how to remove all traces of AOL. You might use this if it appears that not all is gone.

4. JElmWin

Thanks Pretender :)
    The Google search helped me in a round-about way. I found radio guru Kim Kommando's site. She suggested a registry cleaner called RegSeeker. It cleared out several hundred AOL entries. I backed up the registry first, of course. Wasn't a big fan of AOL to begin with. Came free with my Gateway for 1 year. Hopefully this is the end of all the little buggers.
    John

5. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Good for you!!!! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.