HELP!!! I Lost All My Documents!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hotcarver1, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotcarver1

hotcarver1 Registered Member

Hello friends,i would like to tell you my problem if anyone could help me that would be perfect.So im using acronis true image 9.0 for my back ups.Last week i decided to sell my laptop,so i made a backup on my external hard drive.When i bought my new lap i formatted it(i like the clean install of the windows),and i installed my programms on the new laptop and acronis of course...When i tried to restore the bckup from the external hard drive,i only can find the all users documents,i get error messages that the access denied..Also the properties of the restored backup of "my documents" is 0bytes..I tried to format again my old lap with the same settings and i can have access either..althought the properties of the folder my documents is 0bytes the properties of my local disc is reduced about 20gb(the properties of my documents).so?any solution of how i can have access to my documents?can i convert the .tib file of acronis backup?pls help!!!thanks!!

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sorry I'm not really clear about what is going on but:

you have an image on an external drive ?
    As you have installed windows Xp on the new laptop you are not wanting to restore you system ?
    what happens if you simply try to mount the image ? if you can mount you should be able to copy and paste all your docs.

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Use TI to Recover the .tib backup file and if it is a whole disk backup you can extract any file/folder that is in the backup image.

4. hotcarver1

I dont have access to my documents,ti restores only the all user documents..if i try torestore in origin location i cannot have access there,if i create a folder and restore the back up there i cant either delete it!!!!i dont have access,its a windows matter probably,any solution?

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Don't try to restore anything. Just right mouse button on the tib image and click on mount. You should then have a virtual drive in my computer which will allow you to copy any file or files on the image.

6. hotcarver1

i only have plug restore and recover...what should i click?

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm a little unclear here.

If you have successfully managed to restore the image onto your new system, and you can boot into Windows, but, cannot access any files, folders or programs and you are getting an 'access denied error message. Then your problem is that the security feature of NTFS/XP has come into play. Your SSID has changed on your new system.

This can be got around by taking ownership of your denied files and folders.

To do this you need to boot XP into safe mode, hunt down the files/folders that you need access to, right click on them, mouse down to sharing and security , click and choose thesecurity tab, click on the advanced button, click on the other advanced button, click on your log on name and then on the add button, accept the parent/child button hit OK.

Do this for all denied access files and then reboot. Your files should then be available to you.

This problem can happen if XP has been installed and then files and folders are dragged onto that installation, by either mounting the image or by only retrieving files and folders.

Normally the only problem you should get from an actual full disk image, is XP sulking at first boot, because the drivers and system ID's are different to those XP thinks it should have, in this particular instance.

Colin

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  8. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

9. hotcarver1

give 5min to do what you told me..thanks in advance!!!

10. hotcarver1

i manage to see some folders but not the documents,photos,mp3s...on the safe mode should i connect like administrator or my user name?

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Have you tried doing it from the recovery disk. You may be running into protection issues of my docs

12. hotcarver1

i m trying to... stil here..

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Which ever user you want to have access during a normal log on. So if under your User name, you have admin priviliges, you might as well use that.

Colin

14. hotcarver1

Bodgy...THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just managed to find all my documents!!!Thanks guys..thanks all of you for your help!!Have a goodnight from greece!!!thanks again!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.