HELP! How to get DSL, WI-FI, Internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newhere123, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newhere123

newhere123 Registered Member

Hi everybody! (Hi, Dr. Nick!)
    I'm new here, and I'm new to the subject matter I'm asking about, so please be as clear and simple as you can. (Thanks.) I have some questions about getting wireless Internet.

I want to get a wireless internet connection so all computers on my property can access it but am confused about a lot of things.

1. What kind of connection do I need? DSL? Does that project signals to the entire property? Or do I need to get some kind of wi-fi thing too? (Can I like also turn off the wi-fi at night?) What about cable? o_O

2. I have one computer that reads wi-fi signals (hp laptop) and one that doesn't (hp desktop). Is there something I can get for my desktop that will make it so it can read the signals?

3. What good broadband providers are there? I've seen things from ATT (dsl) and also from cox (cable). I found Sonic.net. Are they good? They seem like ATT except they don't make you buy all their other services. Am I right? Do they help with setting up the whole-property service and even from computers that don't currently read wi-fi?

Thanks so much!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1. u can use any connection as long as it connects to ur wireless router.

u need a (wireless) router so that (all) your computers may use the one internet connection

2. u can buy a wireless adapter for the laptop. they can be of the pcmcia or usb variety.

3. i have sbc yahoo dsl, but i dont use wireless and i setup the connection myself.

3. newhere123

Thanks. Where do I get a wireless router? I need the wireless adapter for my desktop, not laptop, but I guess that doesn't matter? How do I know if the connection will connect to the router? Do you have any idea as to how Yahoo! DSL compares to Sonic.net? Isn't Yahoo and AT&T the same for broadband? Don't they make you buy all their services or else the price for the DSL goes way up? Is Sonic a good company that doesn't make you buy all the services to get a good price?

Thanks again.

4. WSFuser

u can get a wireless router in a computer store either retail or online.

as for the desktop, just get a usb adapter. pcmcia is only for the laptop.

like i said i dont have wireless so im not very familiar with setting up the router and adapter. both component should come with a manual or instructions that can help.

i dont know about sonic.net and as for sbc yahoo i dont think the price goes up if u dont use their other servies, but rather the prices go lower if you do. u can get a better answer by contacting sbc.

5. newhere123

Thanks. So since my laptop can already detect wi-fi, all I need is the DSL connection (like this?), a wireless router (like this?), and an adapter for my desktop pc (like this?)?

How much is the cheapest yahoo dsl with no extras?
    Thanks again for all your help, and I'd love to get other people to give their input, too.

6. WSFuser

yes that should be all u need. also for teh wireless products, i think buying products from teh same company might improve performance as well eliminate possible conflict. for example u should get netgear's RangeMax 240 Wireless Router and RangeMax 240 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. of course, theres other companies too like d-link and linksys.

according to the website, sbc's cheapest plan is this $12.99/month for the first year, then its $29.99/month after that.

7. newhere123

Oh, but doesn't sbc say in the fine print that you need to buy other services too in order to get that price?

I'll check out the netgear equipment you suggested. Thanks!

8. WSFuser

the fine print isnt very clear on the subject so i recommend u contact sbc.

as for netgear, that was just an example. i didnt necessarily suggest them.

9. newhere123

Okay.

Well, I did some more research, and it seems like Sonic.net really is quite good.

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would suggest a wireless adapter like this instead of a usb one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001DHHIY/ref=pd_cp_e_title/002-0529760-9860000?ie=UTF8 And just a thought. It is easier to setup wireless with cable than it is with DSL simply because cable is always on and is recognized by most routers immediatly upon connection. although I have used DSL with wireless and it isn't to bad to setup, just a few more steps.

11. newhere123

And how does that connect to my computer? Through the solid metal panels which are short and wide, one of which has screw holes?

And isn't cable much more expensive? Sonic is $13/mo. How about the best cable you know of?

12. WSFuser

the wireless adapter that bigc linked to is installed inside your computer. u have to open up your case, find a PCI slot to install the card, remove the metal plate for that slot and gently seat the card into the slot.

i personally dont know any inexpensive cable ISP.

13. newhere123

I think that sonic is $13 a month for the first year, then I think $30 a month after that. Cox is $25 month. What do you think? Cox would be faster... would it also be safer, better?

Sonic said this:
    Currently you may use any
    retail/soho aDSL router that has bridged 1483 encapsulation with LLCSNAP should
    work. As long as it does not require PPPoE.

I have no idea what that means. That router I mentioned before, does that meet the criteria?

14. WSFuser

i found teh price for sonic.net and its as you say, btu for cox i only found two plans neither of which are $25. the way i see it, cable is faster but also more expensive.

also i dont understand why sonic gives the connection bandwidth as a range. the express package gives 384kbps -1.5mbps Download and 128kbps - 384kbps Upload. id be cautious, i wouldnt want a connection that can slow down.

as for teh router, im unsure. your computer would connect to the router and the router to the modem.

15. newhere123

I think the range has to do with how far you are from sbc bases. I'm pretty close, but Sonic told me that they don't have service where I am. I was also looking into ATT, but I'm still not clear if it's really just 13 a month with them and then 30 a month after one year. Awaiting responses from cox and att.

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I'm paying around $50/mo for Cox HSI in Arizona. Accroding the one for the guys that posted in the COX HSI forum at DSLreports, cox offers 3 internet packages. Yoy may have to contact cox to get further details.

by AZwldcats

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16803752

17. newhere123

Well, I'm still waiting for Cox to get back to me.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

19. newhere123

I have two more questions.
    One, how would I go about making a wired network so I don't have to use a wireless router?

Two, is there any service (in America) where people buy high speed Internet and pay for the amount of information downloaded and then set that up with a wireless router?

20. WSFuser

when u make a wired network u connect ethernet cable from your computer(s) to the router. the router is then connected to a modem.

u can also get a gateway which is a router with the modem built-in.

im not sure about the second question. where i live, most ISPs offer unlimited access.

21. newhere123

Okay, I bought ATT/Yahoo's basic dsl service, no wi-fi, for 15/month. I hope they don't stack up more charges later... Should be activated in a few days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.