help hijack log netsky virus for sure

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by apple, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Ok they are on the same drive. And one of them should be removed. At some point you will have to do that. You are probably low on disk space at this point. You type fast!

2. apple

apple Registered Member

used 13,377,861,120
    free 218,493,952

3. apple

apple Registered Member

why would i be low on disk space now i was not before on the old windows

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

You are very low and have no room for SP4 on that drive. Next question. What were the results of the chkdsk?

And go compare the verions of Winlogon.exe in the old install and the new.

Also compare explorer.exe and Iexplore.exe

I need to see what file versions you have there.
    Do they match?
    This may get tecchie and you may just want to dunp the old install and update the new one.

5. apple

apple Registered Member

it fixed some files and that was it
    and where do i find the different winlogon.exe etc

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Because you now have two Windows installations on the same Drive. It's late here and I have to sign off in a minute.

Look in your old Winnt\system32 folder for a file named
    userinit.exe

Is it there?

7. apple

apple Registered Member

yes it is

8. apple

apple Registered Member

Mosaic1 thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I still would rather have the old one back, I know I'm not real good with computers and that it will get techie but I'm willing to give it a try.

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Ok this may be a registry problem. Either a service is not loading or something else essential. You were not prepared for a failure. With Win 2k you have to be or you are stuck.

Creating and ERD Emergency Repair Disk and a backup registry can save your bacon. For next time.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=238359

10. apple

apple Registered Member

You are right I was not prepared, first thing I plan to do is make back ups and keep them updated. I have 3 teenagers and they have downloaded alot of virus's and trojan's in the past, but I was always able to fix it without a big problem till this time, so I never bothered having an emergency plan. I did update windows, but I did not have my antivirus system updated nor did I have spyware stuff installed, this was what I was doing yesterday. But I guess we learn the hard way, each time something has gone on I have learned new things. I have another computer that I also did yesterday, I got rid of 4 trojans and 1 virus. When I got to this computer it had 6 trojans and 2 virus's. Probably because I have not done anything with either computer since last summer when we had another virus. I will not let this happen again. I'm getting sick of having to fix this stuff.

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

It sounds like you have a lot on your hands.

I don't blame you for wanting your comfortable system back. You didn't try Last Known good yet. You may as well do that now. You will have to first choose the other system to boot into from the boot menu.

Without a recent registry backup I don't know what else to suggest. Plus you have installed an older version over a newer one when you performed the repair install. I think you may want to chuck the old install and go with the new one.

In fact, you might move your personal files to one of the other partitions (it looks like you have more than one) and then format and reinstall 2k on a clean partition. But if you do, be sure you have all your drivers etc. if you need anythng special. Plan it so you are in charge.

If I find any alternatives, I'll let you know. I run XP. 2k is a bit different.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea.
    I hate to have this happen. I wonder what kind of an event caused this. Nothing you did would have resulted in this kind of failure. So I can only think there may be a greater problem.

If you know the manufacturer of the hard drive, go to their site and get the disk tools and run them. Let's be sure your Hard Drive integrity is OK before you spend a lot of time and aggravation on this.

12. apple

apple Registered Member

My husband says he just wants to bring home a new hard drive, and then take what i want from here over to there and start all over. Maybe that is best to start clean, we have had this one a while, since we can now get at all the old files, there is nothing I will probably lose. A few things i have not figured out how to get at, like in my outlook, I was able to start another one, but I could only get at about 5 emails, all the others are not on there, nor is there any sent mail, not sure where to find the old stuff, I did find m address book and I kind export that. Lots of stuff from the old windows that we don't even know what it is, so we don't even know what to get rid of, maybe it is time to start over, and just take what I know and leave the rest, if I'm missing something well I can download it again.

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Outlook or Outlook Express?

If Outlook Express do a search for
    *.dbx

Those are the stores for the email folders.

14. apple

apple Registered Member

Ok so I went and booted into the other system and hit f8, went to last known good configuration and entered and this is what I got.

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    please re-install a copy of the above file

Wonder if this is the problem first time I have seen this

15. rand1038

rand1038 Spyware Fighter

Is there a file ntoskrnl.exe in the system32 folder of the old install?
    I have to get to work right now but I will check tonight and see what I can find out. I have seen this error several times coupled with the "cannot find operating system," including having it myself. I have never seen an effective repair yet for it short of a reinstal of the O/S and in my case (twice) it was related to faulty hard drives. You don't have emergency repair disks so the problem of repair is compounded. More info at the link below and on google

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2700/rh2745.htm.

16. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

On top of it, they already did a repair install. So any missing files should have been replaced unless that didn't work correctly. You say you had a bad drive. Maybe this is the case here too.

I looked at the boot.ini and couldn't see anything odd there. But maybe someone else should have a look.

17. rand1038

rand1038 Spyware Fighter

I did save an install of XP with that error. I copied it to the new drive using the utilites that came on the manufacturers floppy and it worked flawlessly. I did resize the partition when I did this (expanded the partition on the new drive). The problem here is complicated by the install of the second os on the same partition however.

18. rand1038

rand1038 Spyware Fighter

Given the problems you have had, the steps taken and the fact that malware was/is present on the old system, I would opt for a fresh install on the new hard drive. You will want to create limited user accounts for the people who use the system so junkware will not find its way onto your system again. I will do a workup of the steps to follow and some useful links tonight when I get home and post it here if you would like.

19. apple

apple Registered Member

I've decided to just start fresh with the new hard drive, that way I will know what is on my computer. When we did this computer we brought everything over from the last computer, there is so much stuff on here, that I have no idea what it is and not even sure what to get rid of. I have found alot of good sites for information and help like this one and intend on using them. I will be making backups and emergency discs this time, and will have antivirus and spyware on here. We did on this computer setup limited accounts and the kids just end up back on my account. They have 2 other computers to use also but they like mine the best, so I will just have to start being better at protecting it. I appreciate all the help from you guys and will still be asking questions to find things from my old files. Thanks all so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.