Help For The Inexperienced

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Kas, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

This Forum is crammed packed with members who possess superior advanced knowledge of how a computer operates. It is a wonderful medium for the exchange of views and information on very advanced criteria involving Windows, Microsoft, IE and OE compatibility and the function of our computer.

If one has a degree of insight into how this magic box of cybergenic conglomeration works, it is a magnificent platform to air viewpoints and obtain help. Something you simply cannot get from either Microsoft or the manufacturers and suppliers of a myriad of software.

However, I have the distinct impression that an air of conceit exists, that if the question is so silly in the eyes of our experts, it is frowned upon.

This is not worthy of a family of experts. It should be acknowledged that for every member on this Forum who is fully conversant with the operation of a computer, there are 10,000 people who`s only knowledge is that if they fiddle about with the mouse and press a few keys, wonderful things happen on the screen.

These people glibly put all their credit card and bank details on the box, order all their shopping and those lovely things to make life wonderful and have not the remotest thought that they have just given away all their details to Beijing, Taipeh or some grot-pot of fraudulent scumbags in Africa to exploit their financial information in abundance.
    It is up to us to help them in their computer world and prevent this exploitation

So, my esteemed colleagues, when a "simple" query comes in on this Forum, do not be-little it as not being worthy of our attention or label it as a "no brainer", just be aware that millions of people out there rely on our knowledge to help them. They do not need to be reminded that their own knowledge of computers is ZERO, but just need our help and constructive comments in order to solve some minor problem in their PC lives.

I find no problem in answering the most idiotic of questions to put me, since I realise they are NOT idiotic to the person asking and not all people are fortunate enough to have had the eduction I have. It is all a matter of professional etiquette and human understanding.
    KAS

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Re: Help For he Inexperienced

Hi Kas, Speaking as someone who is self taught, and has asked a number of dumb questions on this forum, I can't agree with your inferring that our techies may be conceited and remind us how little we know. I have never been belittled or ignored when I post a question here. I appreciate your concern for the newbies and inexperienced folks, but I think your comments are wasted here for the most part. Sure, an occasional poster may fire a insensitive remark, but it usually comes from a relatively inexperienced person.;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Re: Help For he Inexperienced

RE. twl845
    Message read and understood.
    I am not criticizing our wonderful resources and personnel, simply stating a point for the people who are not as experienced as some of us.

After all twl845, if WE cannot speak up for them, how on earth can they ?

I regard my comments as flying a flag for the inexperienced by the experienced and certainly cannot accept your remarks that such a plea for understanding should come from those who are less fortunate than us.

It is our responsibility as "experts" to help those who are using the net for just normal means. They are not addicted boffins of cybernetics, just ordinary people using a high-tech facility to make their lives easier.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Kas,

Sorry you've somehow gotten the impression that novices get semi-ignored or looked down on when they come here for help.

You'll see many places here, over and over, comments from the experts that the only time a question is "stupid" is when it doesn't get asked.

5. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Mike,
    My own thread on Multiple Firewalls was called a "no brainer" in a reply.
    THAT question is FAR from a simple one, since whilst I accept the consensus of opinion that two firewalls is bad news, it is FAR from an easy question to answer precisely.
    Example ;- I have run Windows + A.N.Other firewalls for years. At one time I even had Windows + Zone Alarm + PCGuard, all with absolutely no effect.

The predicted Armageddon just never happened and my system is as clean as an Angels halo and works as smooth as a babies butt.
    For asking THAT question, I am called a NO BRAINER.

THAT is the reason for this thread
    KAS

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Exactly. :)

8. Kas

Kas Registered Member

What a mature and sensible comment by our marvelous guy from Texas. NO -not little ole George W.Bush ! Ronjor.

YES, a perfectly innocent post on behalf of the less initiated is resulting in the train changing tracks. Just in case you have not read the article Ron has referred to here it is - written by LowWaterMark our revered Administrator ;-

==========
    No offense?! Yes, really!!

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to offend someone else online?

Sometimes you are posting along having a great day and suddenly, out of no where, you get a reply to a post that tells you quite bluntly that you've just insulted another person. A short time later the thread has gone off-track and people are flaming each other, and then in steps a Moderator who ends up closing the thread and everyone is angry - mostly at you.

Or, perhaps you've been on the other side on this situation. There you are trying to be helpful, posting your heart out when suddenly, for no apparent reason, someone makes a reply that appears to be down right rude and offensive, and it is aimed directly at you.

If you haven't seen this or been involved in at least one of these situations yourself, then you probably haven't been posting very long, or perhaps you aren't posting in any controversial topics or places.

I'm bringing this up for a couple reasons...

First, to remind everyone that it is very easy to misunderstand what someone intends to say in a written post. It is much harder to be clearly and consistently understood in just a few written sentences then it is when you are speaking with someone face to face.

Second, we all need to remember that the Internet spans around the world, and International Forums such as Wilders Security have quite a diverse group of participants. While Wilders is mostly an English language forum, (the main exception being the LnS French forum section), over half the people here do not have English as their primary language.

Think about that and its implications. Try to imagine just how much translating is being done here and how people of different languages, cultures and backgrounds can so easily misunderstand what is written in a post. Imagine times when even a simple joke, which would be funny to people with similar backgrounds, causes insult to someone who has a completely different frame of reference.

We all need to be mindful of this and try to use extra care in writing our posts, while also giving the benefit of the doubt to others, when reading what has been posted. It's best not to assume an insult and react to it when what was intended could be totally innocent.

Of course, there really are people who simply intend to insult others and disrupt a forum. Their only purpose being to cause trouble and attempt to insight flame wars. Sometimes they post inflammatory remarks against individuals, or certain vendors or products, just so they can get other people to post flaming comments back at them. (We usually refer to these people as Trolls. Hence the expression "Please don't feed the trolls." )

Remember, there really is no good reason, nor any benefit to you or your overall well being, to take offense from things that are written online. If we all use a little care in choosing how we word our posts, and if we are generous in how we interpret what others post, then we'll all have a lot more fun (and a lot less stress) online.

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just to clarify something about the reference you provided...

I've read the post in question and also that poster's later clarification. In the context that he wrote the first post, Escalader was referring to a third-party software firewall's installation procedure - that it should fully install the new firewall and when that was done, disable the Windows firewall. He called that process a no brainer. Meaning that it would be a clear and logical thing for a firewall maker to do with their installation program, e.g. disable the Windows Firewall after finishing its own installation, or reenabling it if they disable the 3rd party firewall. Escalader did not call you a no brainer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.