Help dont think spyware blaster is working got spyware

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jd47, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd47

jd47 Registered Member

Hi I have been using spywareblaster for some time no problem. Then comp acting slow thought i better give it a major clean up so used sybott search and avg free as usual. There seemed to more than normal.Then like a fool decided to see if there was ant better virus and spyware protection around did a few searches then gave up then started gettin annoying messages poping up saying system integrated scan wizzard you have spyware blah blah blah click to ok to solve problem this took me on to a site wanting money so clicked off since then it keeps happening and other ones too Virus alerts , invisable messages, and some rubbish about cleaning hard drive for security. then started another clean up again with using sybot it found loads . is spyware blaster working the no. of caught problems in database is the same not going up?? so run cw shredder, adware,spybot, and avg still have the problem and still spywareblaster no. of probs caught in data base aint going up. I deleted it and downloaded it again still the same, can anyone help how can i get rid of this spyware and is spyware blaster working.

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

It certainly sounds like your machine is infected with something.
    Do you have AVG running "on access"? That is, is it running all the time, in the background? Because it sounds like you only "used" it once you thought your machine was infected.

Anyway, Spyware blaster is decent enough, but it should not be your only defense against getting infected and it cannot prevent an infection if one employs very risky behavior. So I wouldn't say Spyware blaster is not working or that it's at fault. Also, while you might think your original attempt to "clean" your machine with AVG and Spybot was completely successful, it very well may not have been, and now you're seeing the same stuff as before (and possibly some new stuff too).

Instead of worrying if Spyware blaster is working, your first order of business is to get all the malware off your machine. Then employ a reasonable layered defense against getting re-infected. Then learn safe computing habits.

I'm no expert in cleaning machines, and you haven't provided all the necessary details, but someone will likely be along to help you. In the meantime, you might want to do an online scan:
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
    www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

By the sounds of it you fell for the ol` "rogue anti-spyware" gambit. :( While you may have had a bit of a spyware problem before, by the sounds of the pop-ups you are experiencing you installed some malware in anti-spyware clothing. There are many good free apps. out there that will help you clean up your PC. Read the forums, ask questions, many here will help. Most of all, be careful of what apps. you choose and where you download them from.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

There are 2 types of secuity sofware.

1) Prevention... spyblaster is one of those been around a long time
    2) Scan,detect and remove software. Spybot is one of those, another old timer.

You need both 2 active, 2 more on demand. For free one I like AntiVir Personal very good detection and a heuristic tool as well.

Sounds like you need to clean up your PC big time, so stay away from on-line banking or buying anything til you do! You may want a backup of you files first.

Install CCleaner and run it now.

If I were you, I'd get a software firewall fast, this forum shows good one, or you could use the ZA free one.

Then I'd go to the online virus sites and run them there were some good ones suggested by optigrab.

Also on line spyware scanners, try Webroot services they make SpySweeper

Finally install a Rootkit scanner, try BlackLite.

If you don't have a H/W firewall get one. It costs a few dollars to prevent losses of large amonts of money.

Good luck

5. jd47

jd47 Registered Member

thanks guys for info i started with what optigrab recomended the first one took ages to scan found lots of stuff but dindt disinfect anything you had to pay for service the last thing i want to do is use my card on line at the mo. tried 2nd one that did delete a few things said it could not disinfect so as deleted files i then read down to other guys advice opps should of done a back up didnt know that any way. download Za do find it annoying though it pops up all the time even when im not conected to the web never gives info on whta im acessing or denying, any way its there now.did bit defender, and spywear sweeper that was another one that scanned found things but wanted money to delete. even though i think it has got rid of some stuff think i have damaged files as eror messages appearing and also getting the same notices but im getting some of them when im not on line /o_O?? still dont think spyware blaster is doing a thing because the number in the spyware data base of nastys is still the same after days so it obviously aint doing a thing.
    what else can i do its not viruss when i do avg scan its ok also scans on net did not find virus just spyware and hacking tools. my prob seems to be spyware and maybe missing files not sure ? even more confused than when i started really concerned need to check bank tomorrow as i had been buying on line last week . any info would be much appreciated , someone said i be better to take everthing of computer and start agin reloading it all. If i save my files to cd will the cd be infected? also a lot of my software dont have disks for now so will lose a lot of stuff. but will doing this solve the problem? kind regards Jd

6. jd47

jd47 Registered Member

also for some strange reason my computer wont let me complete a whole scan in spybot search and destoy just as it gets 3/4 to nearly finished computer reboots. had probs like this in past so took sides off to cool down put a big fan on it. still wont complete, but will complete a virus scan right through no problem which takes longer.o_O o_O o_O

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Some malware is able to detect when it is being scanned and is able to lockup\shut down the scanner. It would be helpful to know just what scanners you are using\have tried. Please be careful with your spelling and give exact names. Many rogue programs have very similar names intended to fool people into downloading them. Also after letting us know what scanners you are trying or have tried and are still installed on your machine, uninstall the rogues and run the legit ones in safe mode. While malware has evolved greatly and this step has come to work less and less it may help some. Also, until you are clean, assuming you are running XP with system restore, disable it until you are clean. A total reinstall of your OS is the only way of being 100% sure you are clean.

8. Escalader

Call/visit you Bank asap and freeze the internet access. Ask them to check for any fraud that may have occured. They may ask for new passwords. That is good.

Based on what you have experienced your computer is in a bad state it is infected.

No sense backing it up as is as a total back up. All that would do is save the viruses. You should save on disks or cd's your key documents but scan them 1 by 1 before using them again.

If it were my situation I would go out and buy a cd with SpySweeper and another with a virus scanner of your choice.

The fact that ZA gives you messages is a good thing so don't be frustrated by that

Then, and here comes the tough part, disconnect from internet.

Reinstall a legal version of windows XP make sure it's sp 2 as well, when you get to the part which says do you want to reformat your hard drive say yes.

After that is done, install Spysweeper, and your antivirus's cd's and run these scanners. Fixing anything they find. They should find nothing but it's good practice anyway

Connect to the internet, update Windows, the antivirus software and the spysweeper, yes spend the money my friend considering the risk it is a small price to pay.

Re install ZA, spybot s+D and yes spyblaster. Update all these and run the scans as appropriate.

Re Install your documents and what ever else you verify is clean before loading it.

Get Free Roboform to create,protect and manage 10 passwords.

Change ALL your finance based passwords to the maximum bit strength they allow using Roboform to generate random passwords.

Get CClean and use it regularly.

Never install security software without verifiying it is legit. Research first here and with other relaiable sources. Then update them regualily and let them run automaticlly.

No guarreetees on any of the above. Good luck!

9. jd47

jd47 Registered Member

Hi guys thatnks for advice escalader ok will save files to cd . do i remove all my software off the computer, I have never done this before so not sure how to get computer back to a blank canvas so to speak do i go into control panel and delete everthing one at a time .or is there an easier way to remove everthing.

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Before u take the drastic measure of wiping your harddrive, i would suggest posting a HijackThis log over here,

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10517

Just follow the instructions at the link, post your log and one of the experts there will guide u through removing any remaining malware on your system.

snowbound

11. jd47

jd47 Registered Member

thanks snow bound will give it a go . will let you guys know if i get free :thumb:

12. Escalader

With all due respect to snowbound who I am sure could do the "HijackThis" process do you feel you have enough experience to do that?

You sir need to get off the internet to secure you id ASAP, you mentioned the bank and buying things on line with an infected computer.

You do not have time to mess about on the interenet while infected.

Just disconnect and reinstall windows and let it format your drive. You do not have to uninstall one more thing.

I'm done with this, and the last thing you need right now conflicting advice.

Take the safe route it is not drastic, staying connected to the internet 1 more minute is the drastic part.

13. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

If you really accessed banking/private info online, then hope that nobody is using that information entered. A HiJackThis log would help if you post it on some knowlegdable fourm but a complete reinstall is not out of the question. (I myself wouldn't go that far unless I need to because if you have a lot of information of the computer, than it gonna hurt to reinstall the specifics.)

Also, just to mention it, Spyware Blaster prevents MOST malicious stuff from infecting your system. It doesn't prevent ALL the stuff (I'd like to see one that can). Plus, it DOESN'T do anything to the malicious stuff that already has infected your system.

Programs I recommend for removing some malicious stuff (I'd give some stronger programs first than lower free programs that can match Spybot's level):
    -A2 (A-Squared from Emsi Software)
    -AVG Anti-Spyware (formerly known as Ewido)
    -Spybot Search and Destroy (which you already have)
    -Windows Defender
    -Ad-Aware

Also try: Super Antispyware and Spyware Terminator (I don't really know about them since I never used them) and get a worthy firewall. Some good free firewalls are ZoneAlarm and Comodo. (You would need them to secure program access in and out of the internet.)

You never mentioned the update status of all your protective software. Lack of updating is a big problem for most people (gives them a false sense of protection). Get Windows Updates and individual software updates (where the updates should either be automatic or can be accessed within the program itself). And get updated/alternative browsers like Opera version 9/Mozilla Firefox version 2/Internet Explorer version 7. (You also never mentioned your browser.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.