Help creating partitions !

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by sdrawkcab, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdrawkcab

sdrawkcab Registered Member

I am trying to create 5 primary partitions on my 2GB USB drive so I can boot from live operating systems from my USB drive. I am abale to create 4 primary partitons, but when I create the fifth I get an error saing the partition could not be created. Is there a limit of 4 primary partitions I was not aware of?

Also, is there any way to make one of those partitions contain the Acronis bootable rescue media?

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

there is a maximum of four logical partitions but u can create an extended partition and then create more partitions within it.

heres what it would be like:

-Logical Partition 1
    -Logical Partition 2
    -Logical Partition 3
    -Extended Partition
    --Logical Partition 4
    --Logical Partition 5

if im wrong, id appreciate any correction.

3. sdrawkcab

Thanks for the advice, but that is not exactly what I'm looking for. See, idon't want to have any logical partitions. I am trying to make them all primary partitions so each one can be bootable.

It would look like:

-Primary Partition 1
    -Primary Partition 2
    -Primary Partition 3
    -Primary Partition 4
    -Primary Partition 5

Once I have created 4 primary partitions, I cannot create any more. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.

By they way, how do you create an extended partiton in DD10? I can't find the option to do that. I can only find the otions to create a partiton as a primary or logical partition.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i got the info from here. please read it in case i misread/mistyped something.

in any case, you an only have one active bootable partition. if u want to dual or multi-boot you'll need a boot manager such as OS Selector which is part of disk director iirc.

5. sdrawkcab

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I realize that I can only have one active partition. I was going to use a boot loader (like grub) to make the flash drive mulltiboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.