Help Cant Remove Interactual Player Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Blinko555, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blinko555

Blinko555 Registered Member

Hi,
    I put a DVD movie in my DVD player using Power DVD as the default player. Now I find Interactual Player (spyware) installed itself from the DVD and is now the default player. The problem is I can not remove this program, it is not in the add-remove software section of windows xp to remove it. I want my Power DVD player back which is 1000 times better. I can not find a uninstaller in the software or on their website to remove it. Does anyone no how to get rid of this program? I dont want to use system restore because I just installed a canon 4in1 printer fax machine with a lot of software that would have to be reinstalled. HELP!!!!!
    Thanks,
    Blinko555

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Greeting's Blinko, and Welcome to the Forums! :)

I'm not so sure Interactual installed itself (though it wants to), you were probably fumbling through the popcorn bag at the time. :D Anyway, see if showing system files will bring it up in add/remove (it should be there, or try Start/All Programs and look for the uninstaller). Prior to uninstallling, open taskmanager and make sure none of it's files are running (you may need
    to cross-reference from program files?), kill any related processess.

Proceed by opening windows explorer and delete any leftover folders, then run a search with regedit to clear out any mention in the registry. On a final note, you'll probably have to reinstall and reconfigure PowerDVD to take back control, just be offline and disable any virus protection to avoid conflicts. Keep us posted.

To get around potential future installs, hold the SHIFT key down when inserting a DVD - that will stop the Autoplay function from launching InterActual if included (my thought...probably on most and intended to keep people from copying DVD's).

Further reading - DVD Demystified.

GF

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

It's a fairly benign program. I've had it on my system for ages because my little girl wanted to play some games on a DVD. It definitely turns up in my A/R Programs....and there is an uninstaller in the Prog files.

Attached Files:

4. Blinko555

Blinko555 Registered Member

Hi,
    I looked again in add-remove section for interactual, still was not listed. It is listed in the start menu but, without a uninstaller. I went to program files and looked it up. It was there and after opening up a couple of files, I found a uninstaller file. I open and nothing. So since I can't uninstall it, the only other option was to update the program from 2.0 to 2.05 version, I tried it. After installing the 3.4 meg file, the program was finally listed in the add-remove section and I removed it so fast that my computer started smoking. O.K. there was no smoke, but I am so glad to get this #@*@$##@$ spyware crap out of my computer. Power DVD works great and is now the default player. I now hold the shift key with all movie starts and that works great to stop any junk on DVDs from loading. All is well in my DVD land.....

Thanks for help,

Blinko555

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Blinko,

Congratulation's! :) What I forgot to mention was what you took care of...update, then try to uninstall. No doubt PowerDVD's the way to go...if you do a little investigation on Interactual (which sounds like you have ;) ), you'll see it's caused problems for some folk with it's configuration "take over" like personality.

You may consider disabling cd auto-play...just so you don't beat yourself after forgetting to hold down the shift key.
    You need forget only once.

Oh and Blinko...*nuke a bag for me.* :cool:

GF

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.