HELP ! Can't get SP to use NIC in dc7800

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Jimbo007, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo007

Jimbo007 Registered Member

I'm stuck. I have a new HP dc7800 pc. No image.
    I put in the SP boot disk and it says it can't fine net drivers.
    I can load drivers but nothing works.
    I have run HP and INTEL .exe's to try and find an INF file but nothing works. I put it on a USB stick and point to the file(s) but it gives an error that the file can't be found. It's there on the usb so it must not be the correct one.
    I need help !!!
    How can I get this correct file for the SP Boot disk to see o_O??

Anyone ?

Jimbo

2. Jimbo007

I have tried HP Chat - they said to get hold of Intel.
    Intel said to get hold of StorageCraft.
    I sent StorageCraft an email but haven't heard back yet.

Anyone know what "type" of environment SP uses in booting ? DOS, PE, Linux, etc.... ??

Jimbo

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

When you need help in a hurry, your best bet is to search Wilders for your problem, because it's possible that the issue has been discussed before. I just did a search for ShadowProtect drivers and found this post: Problems With Shadowprotect.

I believe that you may find the answers you seek, if you read that entire post.
    For added reading, here's the ShadowProtect User Guide PDF. Best of luck!

4. Jimbo007

Thanks - I got it.

I had to find the right combo of drivers.
    The INF file just points to a SYS file...
    It's just difficult to find the right drivers...
    I can find the EXE on HP or Intel just fine but SP won't use that.
    If you have to run the EXE then find all the files it installed, that becomes difficult. Finding all the just installed files among all the other files in Windows can be tough. There is a date on Last installed files (that I know of anyway).
    Once my coworker and I found the right combo of files and put them on a USB then SP found and used them just fine.
    Jim

5. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

ShadowProtect's "Recommended" recovery environment is based on 32-bit x86 Vista SP0/RTM. After booting the environment, you can use the Tools menu's Load Driver menu item and then point at an existing .inf (with its accompanied .sys file) for your NIC and load it.

Finding the correct .inf and .sys file is critical. Make sure you use the version from your OEM's support page for Vista x86/32-bit, or if that's not available then try the x86/32-bit Server 2008 driver.

HP's website lists two different NICs for the HP DC7800. They are:

Intel's PRO/1000 (which I believe the "Recommended" environment already supports), and the Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit NIC, which I think is not yet supported (meaning that its driver isn't yet bundled, you should still be able to load the driver yourself and use that NIC successfully), but for which you should be able to use the Tools | Load Drivers menu to dynamically load the driver after booting the "Recommended" CD environment. Use the RIS version of that driver (if they so specify) rather than the RIS Server version (I say this from experience with the NetXtreme II series - perhaps they have something similar for the I series).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.