Help... cannot use computer.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by gracie123, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I just got home and I started up my computer. Like any other day, it runs perfect without any problems... just reformatted it about a month ago or so. Well, up to now, I haven't caught a single virus according to NOD32 Antivirus log. I use Spy Sweeper as my antispyware and it didn't catch anything. The only new software I've installed is Desktop Weather by The Weather Channel... and I've had it installed for about 2 days. No problems.

But the process that seems to keep trying to run which I found out this by opening Windows Task Manager.. the process is: "vsstub.exe" and now monitoring it again, IEExplorer.exe trys becoming a process and it fails. "System.exe" is another process now that along with the other 2 keep appearing and going away. I have a feeling one of Spy Sweepers "Shields" are helping to prevent me from something.....

Anyhow, I ran NOD32 and Spy Sweeper and it finds nothing. So, I'd like to know if anyone can please help me with this issue I am experiencing. All feedback as always is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gracie :)

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Is that a typo? If not, that ieexplorer.exe is something that you would want to check out.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. gracie123

No sir, its not a typo. I will check it out then.. but, it stopped finally and it said something about a "bot" and not being able to connect to some remote thing... I am thinking because I am on a LAN, one of the USB cards are no longer good.. maybe mine?

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

You might want to try another adware/spyware program in addition to the one you are using. Also have a look at Blackspear's post: General Cleaning Instructions.

system.exe is another one to check out. Are you getting any alerts from SpySweeper or anything in the logs?

Reagards,

CrazyM

5. gracie123

I figured out it was a variant of some kind of virus. I was surprised NOD32 didn't detect it, but I went on a website and found a solution. It worked perfectly. Thank you for your consideration in helping me CrazyM :)

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Could you please check that your settings are similar to those found HERE

Cheers :D

7. gracie123

Hi Blackspear,

Yes they were. I was very lucky to come across your guide, it works well :D.

But, some of the settings like Potentially dangerous programs I think its called, Archives and Self extracting archives were not checked because I had a program called Weatherbug and I wanted it for my weather but I had to take off those settings. Feeling insecure from your question, I uninstalled Weatherbug and reenabled those settings that were not checked and now installed Desktop Weather from The Weather Channel. Probably more secure and at least NOD32 settings don't have to be changed just to run a program :D.

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Wise move, IMO. :D

9. gracie123

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Glad all is ok Gracie.

Cheers :D

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Gracie: If you're using Firefox, just get the ForecastFox extension, it works very well and I prefer it over all desktop weather apps :)
    http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yes but you have to admit tho, Konfabulator is pretty cool. :D :cool:

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hehe, yes it is.. another good option :)

14. gracie123

I will consider both. Thank you guys :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.