Help a Newbie

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by RangerRobert, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RangerRobert

RangerRobert Registered Member

I have Paragon Backup & Recovery 2013 Free.
    I thought I backed up a Solid State Drive onto a portable hard drive via USB (Western Digital Passport?). I have a bunch of files on the portable drive labeled
    arc_220313 Win7 ssd.0200p
    .0200p.00A
    .0200p.00B
    .0200p.00C
    .0200p.016

Each file is about 4,096,000 kb long

When I try to restore that drive, it only takes a few seconds and then it says it is complete, but it does NOT restore my drive.

It would seem that my data has been stored on the portable drive -- I just need to figure how to restore it. My motherboard died and I accidentally erased the Solid State Drive.

Please let me know what information I have to provide in order to state my problem correctly.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Robert,
    Sorry for the delay but I was busy elsewhere... :rolleyes:
    Your problem is likely caused by the fact that your external drive is formatted in Fat 32.
    Please check that out and reformat it in NTFS, if applicable.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

That may explain why he has 4GB files making up his archive, the other reason that maybe Paragon is set to split at 4GB, but it doesn't explain why it won't restore.

Have you ever restored an archive to this drive using Paragon?

If not, the possible reason is that the Linux recovery environment doesn't support your hardware. The fix for this is to make a WinPE recovery disk which you can do with the paid version of Paragon or you can make one with the procedure given by SIW2. See this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=335734

I have not used SIW2's method or know its pros and cons, I am just aware of his efforts.

Using the WinPE environment allows Windows drivers to be used and also the ability to load any drivers that are not a good fit or missing for newer hardware - this isn't possible with the Linux recovery environment.

If the issue is because you are restoring to the SSD you might try restoring to a mechanical drive if you have one to see if it works.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I don´t buy this. All paragon programs support FAT, of course. Reformat may cause information to be lost, depending on the software used.

It works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.