Hello. Windows Media Player wont open

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by OrinGA, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrinGA

OrinGA Registered Member

When I try to open it, all I get is a beep, and then nothing happens. Im not sure what is causing this and would appreciate it if someone could help me with my situation as to what programs I need to solve this problem. Thank you.

2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Registered Member

OrinGA,

Most probably your machine has been infected (I guess with a trojan.mitglieder variant). This nasty one is downloaded from infected sites, and tries to install an infected wpmplayer.exe right over the original one, thus giving you these problems.

This happend on my girls' computer, but luckily Norton was able to delete it all.

I think best you can do is give your PC a complete virusscan, and then replace your wmplayer.exe with a correct one (on XP machines it is in some directory I cannot remeber, will tell you as I find out). Hope this is of any help.

Kind regards,

Paul

3. bazzle

bazzle Guest

I had that trouble and it was cleared up by running the CWShredder program which i got here on this site.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

I also completely uninstalled windows media player and reinstalled it including running microsoft update software with windows meda player updates.
    It's going well now.
    I had some hijacker crap virus and it all went away after running the CWshredder
    was real happy :)
    Bazzle

4. toogood

toogood Guest

I have that same problem.
    I tried running that shredder s/w but it didnt work...

any suggestions ? what else can i try ?

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

6. FreakyPcteck

FreakyPcteck Registered Member

well this worked for me i hope that it helps others out there. fist run like Ad-aware or any type of adware remove program then. Go to the WMP directory under C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player. Double click on the file setup_wm.exe it will start the WMP setup finish the setup and it should work.

7. Hi I'm having the same problem with mine. I think I have a virus or something in Internet Explorer I have no idea how to get rid of it I've tried everything! I have somethng called virtual bouncer and mypcsearch theres a whole lot more I'm not sure whats going on. I've tried deleting it but it wont go away and now WMP wont open. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still nothing. FreakyPcteck I tried what you said and it keeps telling me to cancel and that theres a problem with Q290700o_O? If anyone knows what to do please help!!!

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You need to follow the instructions at the link in snapdragins post #5 You do to have to be a registered member to post a Hijackthis log.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.