hello i need opinion about prosecurity

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by bester, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bester

bester Registered Member

i have been told to get hips by friend of mine and he suggest i get prosecurity and system security suite or something but he says prosecurity might be more good for me for protection. i am unsure which is better and why they are better than norton antivirus

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you are not a very proficient computer user, HIPS programs might not be the best solution for you.
    Mrk

3. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

HIPS are very important.

If you don't use them, it's only a matter of time before you get infected or hacked.

4. bester

bester Registered Member

i am ok with computers but i dont know much about these hips is the program called prosecurity a good one? my friend tells me very good things

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

ROFL :D

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    bester, if your HIPS asked you whether you want to allow scvhost.exe to connect to the network, will you allow it?
    As to computer security - YOU make the security - security does NOT make YOU. It does not matter what software you run. Your choices and behavior will define what becomes. AV, AS, AT, HIPS are merely tools to assist you, but if you don't use them as intended, they are worthless.
    Basically, you can get around fairly well with a simple firewall, maybe an anti-virus for a scan here or there and a non-IE browser like Firefox, preferably with Noscript extension.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

7. bester

bester Registered Member

i only simple want to know what people think about prosecurity so then i can learn all about it and use it correct but my friend tells me prosecuritry is one of the best. is this correct and why
    ?

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

9. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Who knows really?

Most HIPS are very new, with short histories so few people had the chance to really test it comprehensively. Not to mention the number of people who actually have tried it is actually very low.

I mean look at antispyware, they have being at this far longer than the current rush of 'HIPS', and even then they don't agree which one is best. If you are expecting a definite answer for HIPS you are going to be disappointed.

Over here we have the tendency to claim best when we mean

1) It's new

2) It has a lot of features whether necessary or not (AKA lots of popups).

3) The author or some other regular of wilders comes here and makes a lot of PR noise.

If we go by this definition yes Prosecurity is one of the best ones here.

The buzz on this forum is that it's very good, covers lots of stuff, but it seems it is possible to lock yourself out of the system if you don't know what you are doing. But I guess that is not unique to them.

The prosecurity thread is here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=152297&highlight=prosecurity

I personally haven't tried it yet (waiting for it to mature some), but the champion of this product on this forum is Techwg so you might check with him. Also Stem and others are currently playing with it.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello bester,

Since you have now posed this same basic question in the ongoing ProSecurity v1.21 [HIPS software] thread....we'll bring this thread to a close and let you continue there so as not to duplicate assistance with this ProSecurity question.

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.