Heimdal Free and Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JEAM, Jun 30, 2015.

1. kyuzo

kyuzo Registered Member

Strange, I thought I had my Heimdal problems sorted out after receiving another one-year license. Today I noticed the program had reverted to the free version and my one-year license would not reactivate the program. Sadly, the latest version of HP seemed to be doing well with Norton.

Uninstalled for the last time.:thumbd:

2. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

Whenever I enable auto-disable traffic filtering option, Heimdal PRO automatically "disables" traffic filtering (it is still enabled in the options, though). I'm not sure why because traffic filtering works. It is my understanding that it would disable itself when it couldn't communicate with the servers or there's a communication error.

3. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

As predicted, Heimdal Pro is unfortunately not quite compatible with Vista:

Heimdal crash 1.jpg
    Heimdal crash 2.jpg

Heimdal crash 3.jpg

I'll be happy to run through some troubleshooting if anybody has suggestions.

4. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Heimdal PRO is updating from 2.2.0 Beta to 2.2.1 Beta, but requires .NET Framework 4.6.1 if you don't have it already, and Heimdal actually does the download.
    I was unable to install this, initial extract kept failing, and eventually discovered (via safe mode) that this was being done on my external USB drive, which is protected as 'Read Only' using Secure Folders, except for some backup programs.
    So - a bit of a head scratch, but all done now.

5. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

Heimdal Pro blocked this website which was recommended by a frequent and constructive Wilders participant in a thread on the Norton Community Forum.

Is this a false positive?

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@JEAM Yes, it's a false positive. The website and it's software are safe.

7. paulderdash

One has to request a whitelisting at support at heimdalsecurity.com
    They usually respond within a day, though it's weekend now.

8. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

9. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

@paulderdash @Peter2150 Have you found any issues with Heimdal Pro & Sandboxie? I just added Heimdal yesterday & haven't tested thoroughly yet

10. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

None whatsoever on my Win 8.1 PC.

11. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

great - thanks for the feedback

12. paulderdash

Haven't noticed any issues. But I do have Heimdal patching system off (I use SUMo and manual updates for that).

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No, no conflicts here. Both run fine. Win 7x64

14. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

great - thanks guys

I've enabled patching, but i'm curious to see what happens when Heimdal tries to update an App that is currently sandboxed

15. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

I am having a problem with a disconnected internet connection after wake-up from sleep or hibernate - started after installing Heimdal... Unfortunately, it seems to occur randomly (maybe 5-10% of the time) and the fix is also not consistent - sometimes restarting Heimdal service, logging off/on, rebooting modem fixes it, but rebooting the PC always fixes it.

Anyone else have experience with this & found a solution?

OS Win7 SP1 64-bit

16. paulderdash

Yes - I also have a problem on Win 8.1 Pro x64, and also wondered if anyone else was having issues.
    Disconnects from internet occasionally, I see both Heimdal services have crashed, and are stopped. Restarting them is the quickest way to fix this, quicker than rebooting. I guess the disconnect is because, with traffic scanning and filtering on, SecureDNS (127.0.0.1) is no longer working (even though I also have 'Autodisable Traffic Filtering' set to On)? ...
    As far as I recall this has only happened since 2.2.1 beta.
    I also experience a regular 'tussle' with DNS being changed from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and back (Glasswire notifies me of this). Haven't tracked down what is causing this, Heimdal Support thought maybe EIS but haven't tried to test this (they suggested uninstalling EIS). This has occurred even in previous betas.
    I may still test that hypothesis. But if the problems persist in subsequent betas, I will most likely uninstall.

17. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

I don't think restarting the services always works in my case. I'll take a better look next time it happens and post back - I'd meant to try just disabling traffic filtering temporarily, but haven't yet

EDIT - I have v2.2.0 installed

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I booted up my computer after work and AppGuard said it blocked a patch from Heidmal. Looking at Heidmal records it thought the patch was applied but version still shows 2.21 Beta. I think Appguard has to go. It is interfering with too many of my other security programs. NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!!
    And I been here sine the original 1000 members. So I aint stupid.

19. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

today's disconnect news... both Heimdal services were still running - stopping/restarting didn't help. So I shutdown all Heimdal services/processes & reset my DNS to OpenDNS and.... everything is back to normal. I'm wondering if it's just Heimdal's SecureDNS that is messing things up for me - I'll try just changing the DNS next time

EDIT: ok - just changing the DNS doesn't work - even if I disable SecureDNS service then i still can't change the DNS while Heimdal is running

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  20. paulderdash

Today my Heimdal services had stopped. Troubleshooting shows DNS is not responding. You're right, restarting services did not help, and neither did a reboot, nor changing DNS to my ISP (I think Heimdal just changes it back to 127.0.0.1.
    I noticed that Traffic Scanning was On, but Traffic Filtering (SecureDNS) was Off even though I had set it to On. Maybe their servers are down? But Heimdal should still work if this is the case. Setting Traffic Scanning to Off solved my problem.
    But I have now uninstalled Heimdal for the time being, causing too many issues. Maybe I'll try it again later.

21. paulderdash

Appguard was set to Allow Installs (accidentally) overnight here, and Heimdal processes are set as Power Apps. Normally I have AG set to Protected, can't remember if Heimdal previously updated itself 'unattended'. But Heimdal still showed as 2.2.1 Beta this morning.
    Maybe a botched patch caused issues for @rm22 and myself. Anyone else notice a later version installed now?
    @boredog Not sure about your other security programs, but I would choose to try and configure and retain Appguard, over Heimdal ...

22. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

I stopped both services and both processes and then was able to change my DNS without Heimdal changing it back to 127.0.0.1

Traffic Filtering was still 'on' for me while I was having issues, but it's seems it is the SecureDNS causing problems.

I've also turned the Malware Engine off now - maybe this was conflicting with my AV

have you tried to contact support?

23. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

still v2.2.0 here

24. paulderdash

Yes, earlier - I didn't try everything they suggested, i.e. uninstalling EIS, remote session.
    They, then I, gave up.

25. boredog

boredog Registered Member

The only warning I got was from AppGuard. Even if you set it to off and go to bed it still turns protection back on and when the patch came in it did not allow it.
    Haven't you noticed changing the protection level is only temporary? So if you leave your computer on overnight and a patch comes through, AppGuard will stop it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.