Heimdal Free and Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JEAM, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Andra Zaharia

Andra Zaharia Registered Member

Hello everyone!

It's Andra from Heimdal Security here.

I'd be happy to help with any additional information you'd need about the product.

Since I know you're looking for more in-depth information about what Heimdal PRO does, here's a place where you can find examples of how Heimdal works to protect you against data leakage, advanced malware and software exploits (and you can also get a 50% discount for the PRO version while you're at it).

If you have any questions, just shoot and I'd be happy to help!

2. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

Thanks for the link, and for joining the conversation. :thumb:

My basic question is this: if a user runs HitmanPro.Alert or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit on their computer, then (apart from the software patching feature) does Heimdal's action complement or overlap with what HMP.A or MBAE do?

I may have a follow-up question or two, depending on the answer. :)

3. faircot

faircot Registered Member

I'm running HMP.A also and I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this, too.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It might be just me, but it looks like the website has been redesigned, good job. It's now a bit more clear what the Pro version offers.

5. Rasheed187

It looks like Heimdal Pro isn't trying to block exploits with HIPS technology like HMPA/MBAE do, so you can't really compare them when it comes to this.

6. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Hello Andra you mentioned a 50% off and so is the post above about 70% off not correct by entering vaccine as a code when buying?

type the word vaccine in the voucher code and get 70% off Pro.:) 10,20 euros $11.33 US

and from my above post with your [pop up are you still looking for testers?

7. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

Maybe then Heimdal Pro could work alongside HMPA/MBAE without conflicts?

8. Rasheed187

Yes, normally it shouldn't cause any problems, because they work in a different way, and they don't really overlap.

9. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

Cool -- another layer of defense! :thumb:

Thanks very much.

10. Andra Zaharia

Hi Rasheed!

This is just a recent landing page.

The website has not been redesigned yet, but we do have a much better version coming out very soon. We got a lot of feedback from users and tried out best to create something that's more usable and offers more detailed information about our products.

If you're interested, I can send you a message as soon as the website is live, so you can check it out.

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  11. Andra Zaharia

Hi Jeam!

Heimdal complements both products you mentioned. Here's how:
    - HitmanPro acts like an antivirus, scanning for files to identify malware infections
    - Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit relies on a database focused on exploit kits and the specific vectors of infections they use to protect users against such threats.

In a nutshell, here's how Heimdal complements these products:
    - Heimdal looks at traffic, not files, when scanning for potential cyber threats and attacks
    - Heimdal PRO is powered by a strong database that is packed with information about malware infrastructure
    - so when Heimdal identifies a cyber threat or an attack attempt, it will block the communication between the victim's computer and the cyber criminal controlled server, preventing further damage.
    - Heimdal is proactive, while HitmanPRO is reactive, just like an antivirus product is.
    - Heimdal also complements Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit because it offers the Internet traffic scanning layer, an advanced malware engine and automatic and silent patching of vulnerable software
    - the patching feature is key when it comes to exploit protection, because it closes security holes in software and prevents it from being exploited by cyber criminals.
    - Heimdal PRO offers both security and feature patches and it installs them silently as soon as they're made available by the software vendor.

Here's a useful example:

A user visits a website that has an infected banner. The user has an outdated version of Adobe Flash, so a the infected banner drops a payload onto the victim's system. Heimdal will do one of two things here, depending on the strength of the attack:
    - it will identify that the banner contains malicious content delivered by cyber criminal infrastructure and will block the banner
    - or it will detect that the payload is trying to communicate with a malicious server and will cut off communication, preventing the infection and data leakage.
    In some cases, if the attack is very severe, Heimdal will cut off the Internet connection altogether.

When it comes to security products, we encourage users to create a multi-layered security system for enhanced protection against advanced malware threats, since current malware types have 3 dangerous characteristics:
    - they're polymorphic, thus trying to evade being detected by antivirus products
    - they have a very low detection rate because of the infection tactics they use, such as fileless droppers
    - they are sometimes dormant, infiltrating the system and waiting a certain period of time until they launch the attack.

That is why users who want peace of mind have to conduct a bit of research to see what products fit their needs. Education is especially important here, because we, as users, can become a great security asset if we learn to detect cyber attacks and know how to mitigate risks and associated consequences.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. :)

12. Andra Zaharia

Yes, indeed, the vaccine code offers an even bigger discount. Feel free to use them according to your needs.

About testing Heimdal PRO, we might be looking for testers soon, so I'll keep you in mind for when the time comes! :)

Thank you very much for your interest and for taking the time to contribute to the thread!

It's great to talk to everyone and learn what you might expect from our product and how we can make it better.

13. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

@Andra Zaharia

HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert are two very different products.

14. faircot

faircot Registered Member

You beat me to it:)

15. Rasheed187

Thanks for the additional info about Heimdal Pro, I understand it better now. :thumb:

Yes, a lot of people make this mistake, but I guess everything what she said about MBAE, also applies to HMPA. Except for the fact that HMPA also has a "network lockdown" feature, but it's still not clear to me how it works, and what it blocks.

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Downloaded it, but there is no option to activate the trial, only free or enter activation key.

17. haakon

haakon Guest

Sorry about that. The button does say 60-day trial.

I didn't use that but the MaximumPC trial activation (30 days) mentioned in JEAM's OP. I've been a $ubscriber for almost 20 years so I'm not feeling compelled to post up that method. That said, one can always find an issue on a news stand. :D

I'm sure Andra can post up on activating the trail.

18. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Go to the "Buy" page. Enter 'heimdaldemo01' as voucher. Should then yield 'EUR 0.00 for 1 month'. Continue to download page where you should find Activation Key & DL link for Pro.

19. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Malwarbytes paid also has a black list for web sites. Their antiexploit is good and Adguard also has a bad web site black list.
    And so that is what I use now along with Norton's 2015. Then to top it off I have Quietzone and that gets rid of all changes to the disk level on reboot.
    But I am still interested in Heimdal and know they must know what they are doing based on their contribution to the tacking down of the criminals I posted about above.

20. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

I was thinking the same thing, that whatever applies to MBAE probably also applies to HMP.A.

21. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

Hi Andra,

And thank YOU for the detailed explanation, that's just the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Heimdal Pro is sounding very promising!

22. Andra Zaharia

Indeed, the same applies to both products, though I couldn't offer any information about the "network lockdown" feature myself.

23. Andra Zaharia

The trial you posted about was a small campaign that is no longer valid, but please feel free to use the "heimdaldemo01" voucher, as Bob D recommended.

24. Andra Zaharia

Thank you for your kind words! Indeed, there's always a common point between security products, which is, of course, protecting the users from as many angles as possible.

As described above, with Heimdal PRO we've made it our mission to offer a proactive security layer, but the ideal situation is to use multiple security solutions that offer protection on different levels.

25. Andra Zaharia

Glad I could help, Jeam!

Feel free to send any additional questions you might have. I'd be happy to provide the answers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.