Healthy or Active?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DaisyDuke, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefConDelta

DefConDelta Registered Member

ALSO---Bodgy,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had all of them named unique names a long time ago. My problem was remembering what drive letter went with what partition.
    (i.e. "did I give Programs an M or an L....or did I give documents L or M or N?)

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hmmm... Drive letters changing I can understand, but how did DaisyDuke become DefConDelta? :)

Anyway, we are all glad that your systme is booting and running properly and hope you are able to get the drive letters sorted out.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Re: Healthy or Active?--Or there's a boot in my system

It's all so easy to understand. The logical volume that contains the info to boot the OS, which is known as the bootstrap, is formerly called the system volume . There can be only one system volume but more than one boot volume -- well forget about boot volumes for a second. Back to System volumes, which are what contain the boot info -- there can only be one system volume and the system volume is the Active partiton so if you have a System volume, then you have an Active partiton. The reason for the redundant nomemclature is to fight against the everpresent threat of encroaching rationalism.

Okay, fine. So what about boot volume? Oh, well, the volume that contains the OS system files (the stuff that gets loaded after the bootstrap -- remember the system volume [/I?]-- has done its work), the the thing that comes after the boot is the set of system files for the OS and these are stored on what's called the boot volume, since the namesystem volume has already been taken as the name of the bootstrap. The boot volume doesn't have to be the same volume as the system volume and often isn't. For example, if you clone a windows sys/boot volume from one harddisk to another and leave both attached when you reboot, Windows might assign one as the boot volume and the other as the system volume. Windows can be very democratic sometimes ;-) Of course, after such a democartic outburst, windows might then tend to treat each volume an an inferior unfit to operate and continually punish them with errors.

So to sum up, It's as easy as saying micorsoft -- the boot volume is called the system volume and the system file volume is called the boot volume. How could anyone go wrong? It all falls right out of the horses mouth:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314470

Although, when it comes to ms programming genius, the mouth is actually the other end of the horse and for some reason the boot end is called the mouth.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.