HDM2012 Won't Restore Raw Sector Smart Backup W8 Storage Space

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by deVries, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deVries

deVries Registered Member

I tried copying a Windows 8 Storage Space partition using raw sector by sector copy in Smart Backup onto a single HD...

It copied the partition onto the other HD, but when I went to "test" restore of that copied partition back onto the W8 storage space it fails with the error... stating that the cluster sizes do not match-up and can't restore.

I think the properties on the W8 SS stated the cluster size is 4k. I was just using an old 750gb Samsung HD with no advanced hard-formatting. What, those were made with 512byte clusters... if I have my terminology correct... clusters/sectors et al. o_O

The storage space was created with 5 old 320gb HDs, so no advanced hard-formatted drives were used for entire copy/restore points. I assume the storage space 4k clusters is just the soft-logic cluster size used to configure the mirrored array. The 750gb HD is just empty with no partitions or formatting, so I could just use the raw sector copy to it too. Then raw copy restore from it back onto the W8 SS.

So, how can I copy a partition in W8 SS off to another HD for backup/restore and have it work on its return journey back to W8 SS?

Sure hope we can do this... otherwise, W8 SS is not a very safe place for using HDM 2012 for partition copy/restore recovery purposes. Btw, the W8 SS is not a dynamic disk the way the SS created/defaulted for its 3-way mirror setup.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.