HDM2012 Won't Restore Raw Sector Smart Backup W8 Storage Space

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by deVries, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deVries

deVries Registered Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I tried copying a Windows 8 Storage Space partition using raw sector by sector copy in Smart Backup onto a single HD...

It copied the partition onto the other HD, but when I went to "test" restore of that copied partition back onto the W8 storage space it fails with the error... stating that the cluster sizes do not match-up and can't restore.

I think the properties on the W8 SS stated the cluster size is 4k. I was just using an old 750gb Samsung HD with no advanced hard-formatting. What, those were made with 512byte clusters... if I have my terminology correct... clusters/sectors et al. o_O

The storage space was created with 5 old 320gb HDs, so no advanced hard-formatted drives were used for entire copy/restore points. I assume the storage space 4k clusters is just the soft-logic cluster size used to configure the mirrored array. The 750gb HD is just empty with no partitions or formatting, so I could just use the raw sector copy to it too. Then raw copy restore from it back onto the W8 SS.

So, how can I copy a partition in W8 SS off to another HD for backup/restore and have it work on its return journey back to W8 SS?

Sure hope we can do this... otherwise, W8 SS is not a very safe place for using HDM 2012 for partition copy/restore recovery purposes. Btw, the W8 SS is not a dynamic disk the way the SS created/defaulted for its 3-way mirror setup.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.