HDM2009 64bits Windows7

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by karad, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karad

karad Registered Member

Whatever I say please dont weep on my grave.....
    After 10 days of hard work i've realised all the images i took with my Paragon HardDiskManager 2009 64bits are nuts and i cant use them.

Previous OS was XPPro 32,new one Windows7 64bits Home Premium.

Machine is Intel E8400 Coreduo,3000MHZ,4Gyga RAM,EP45-DS3L Gigabyte F.10 Award BIOS updated 10 days ago via Q-Flash (after 2 failed attempts with @Bios utility from Gigabyte) from previous F.7. I did this as with F7 after i recovered from suspension there was a bsod with reboot,corrected by F10.

Nvidia GeForce 9800GT updated to 195.62 64bits.

Updated also about 6 Intel ICH10 Family USB Controllers from the 6.x to 9.x as also Intel 82801 PCI Bridge 244E from 6x to 9x (this unsigned), Chipset Processor to I/O controller,Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2E21,ICH10 LPC Interface controller 3A18+ Family SMBus controller 3A30 + Universal Host Controller 3A34 + 3A35, all updated from 6x version to 9x, in order to save time I did this with Drivermax.

Paragon HDM 2009 downloaded about a month ago is version 120-PEE_WinInstallx64_9.0.9.8130_000.msi.
    (please dont tell me there's an update or I chose a version not suitable for Win7...)

Story is: today I want to test if it works by downloading an image i took last night.

In my long and happy life with Paragons I always use recovery disks so I inserted the Linux based one I made with the 64bits Paragon version,but when I had to choose the Destination for the Image file it wouldnt by all means move from my external Maxtor HD; I thought it was probably corrupted and tried with a second disquette ,unfortunately with the same result.
    In addition I noticed for the first time the previous day Image was classified as a “Complex Image” instead of having the usual looks.
    I have a BartPE recovery made with previous XP 32 but thought it better not to try.

So I tried to recover from Windows, as soon as I clicked on the program Interface Restore etc. a nice BSOD showed up which did not react to pressing the PAUSE button so I dont know anything about it.

Still full of optimism I proceeded to try again and this time no BSOD,my HD was correctly detected as well as the ext HD,Paragon reboots but when in Linux it stops abruptly letting me know it 'cannot open file'....period.

That's it,I hope anyone from Paragon can enlighten me about what to do now, the obvious seems to me to check if there are 64bits updates and reinstall anyway.

Thanks a lot, karad

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. karad

karad Registered Member

Re: HDM2009 64bits Windows7 a total mess

PS-
    I went through Paragon url in email I received 370 days ago to Updates&Upgrades ,but it seems I cannot even check having gone beyond the one year limito_O
    Perhaps I can download the new program on trial offer and put in my acquired code?
    If there's nothing to be done, no support or update, in spite of all the good years spent together, I think I will just use Comodo Time Machine instead.

3. karad

karad Registered Member

Sorry,I can still access my Account at Paragon,opposite to what i stated,its that simply the page wouldnt accept a copy-paste of the password but requires a normal digiting.
    I was then able to find out there's no update at all to what I already downloaded,but for good measure ,i downloaded a fresh one which i intend to install in a few minutes and then I'll proceed to verify if something changed for the better-hopefully.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Karad,

I am not sure HDM 2009 officially supports Win7 - But I have used it on 7 x64 without any problem .

Please keep us posted.

Paragon staff will be back Monday.

5. karad

karad Registered Member

Thanks for your coming in,SIW2. At the moment the situation improved considerably,but still not 100% satisfactorily as it should.

I installed the newly downloaded Paragon HDM 2009 64bits and I was immediately able to perform a new backup and a complete and healthy Restore from an image taken the day before which the previous install either didnt 'see' or didnt complete.

Lesson to be taken: sometimes a file gets corrupted when left a long time in the Data partition/or windows7 install did it/or the64bits file was updated even if not stated.

As far as Paragon is concerned the program worked perfectly doing backup, restore, and disk features are ok, BUT.... unfortunately it has happened in the midst of these operations that I opened up the program and as soon as I clicked on Backup a sudden BSOD took place.
    This has happened only once and never again..... yet,still I'm trying to investigate why it did,as it is the very first time I see this in my association with not only Paragon,but with any imaging program.

Unfortunately it's a BSOD which doesnt obey to PAUSE pressing and even the program I just installed' WhoCrashed' couldnt say anything relevant.

I'm trying to find out if anything's wrong with drivers I updated or BIOS, but no hint towards this possibility emerged.

I've also moderated settings for my two security programs,being sure they dont interfere, if they ever did.

It seems to me the 64bits way is still paved with irking difficulties for all these reasons.

The computer works very,very well and fast and were not for the Administrative Events ('Circular Kernel error', or 'Memory damaged by transition' from Suspension to active state or viceversa),which I can read in there, I wouldnt suspect anything is wrong.

Now i'll make a new post with hardware questions and will try to check BIOS,drivers and so on. As soon as I find out something I'll come back.

6. karad

karad Registered Member

A second unexpected crash-bsod when opening up Paragon to backup was revealed by WhoCrashed as pertaining really to cmdguard.sys- CACHE Manager- from Comodo Internet Security Sandbox driver,which was the culprit.

I dont know how this could've happened....first because I thought there was no sandbox in Comodo yet and also because I used Comodo and Paragon a long time without any problem.
    I am still trying to understand how this could come about.
    M

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Please keep us updated on any findings, they may be useful to others trying to use both apps.

Thanks.

8. karad

karad Registered Member

Gigabyte advisor program suggested I stick with BIOS Award F.10,but this generated warnings in events,so I decided to run the risk of installing the still beta BIOS F11b and to pay for a drivers scan with the Gigabyte- advised DriverAgent,which found some 5 old drivers to update (a sixth belonged to the Centrino family but this is not a notebook).

Since yesterday, and the BIOS+drivers update, Administrative Events is absolutely silent without any annoying arguments.
    PC gets up,works,is suspended both in admin and standard accounts and with and without Returnil without a glitch.
    Paragon apparently and till now is also fine.

I run CIS, including AV,along with Prevx 64 bits beta (provided by Prevx) and in order to avoid any conflict btw these two entities I provided to put both in their respective Excludes.
    I also disabled startup scan in comodo AV (Prevx does it) and demoted the level from On Access to Stateful, having both Firewall and Defense+ in SafeMode,as prescribed.
    This way there is ......there should be no conflict.

My theory is the former Boclean part of Comodo AV could collide with Prevx and generate illogical BSODS when an all-pervading program like Paragon comes up.

With no startup scan this should be attenuated,but i hate to think that perhaps with the new comodo 4.0 and the newer 64bits Prevx one will have to choose btw the two.

9. karad

karad Registered Member

@SIW- long time I forgot to pinpoint:

HDM 2009 (just downloaded by me in its 64bits version) is by all means compatible with W7-and all types of 64bits,as stated in Products at Paragon's:

Supported Operating Systems

* Windows 2000 Professional
    * Windows XP Home Edition SP2
    * Windows XP Professional SP2 (32/64 Bit)
    * Windows Vista (32/64 Bit)
    * Windows 7 (32/64 Bit)

So I should really change the title of this thread as it turned out Paragon software has nothing to do with my (past?) troubles.

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

So it is "officially" compatible - no reason why not - it works great for me on 7 x64.

Thanks for the update Karad.

I am glad it is working well for you now.

I suppose it would be a good idea to change the thread title.

11. karad

karad Registered Member

I just changed the title erasing the 'total mess' which gave the idea it was entirely Paragon's fault.
    PS
    I tried to change it ,by erasing the part 'a total mess',and also through folders in CP,but it wont stick.
    I'm obviously missing something on it,if a mod can do it or explain how to,thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.