HDM14S Archive Drive Letter Assignment

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by wptski, Dec 3, 2013.

1. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue or not?

I just purchased a new Sandisk Glide USB flash drive and noticed that it appears as a HD and not a removable drive as before. I find out that this started in 2012 to be W8 certified.

It appears that HDM14S is also as my external USB drive shows up as a HD as well. My Computer showed several greyed out removable drives one being the drive letter I was using with HMD12S. Yes, I know I can delete/add archives.

It seems I've ran into this before and corrected it, somehow. DISKPART won't allow me(unless I'm doing something wrong) to delete any of the greyed out drives. I got a utility called DriveLetterView that supposed to allow removing drives even if they aren't in use but it won't allow it either.

A workaround was to find the correct media for each greyed out drive and use Disk Manager to remove the drive letter.

Well that works till I get to the drive letter/media that I was using for my HDM12S. I have or so it seems no media for it!!

Just a guess but it seems that HDM14S did something when it moved that drive from removable drive to hard drive. It may have renamed that drive to some bogus type. It's name is MS/Pro/Duo which supposed to be a Sandisk Memory Stick. Pictures I've found of it and I have nothing like that.

****EDIT****
    Hmmm, it was able to right-click on it the Disk Manager and remove it! o_O

It's possible that a Windows Update since my last archive was created with HDM14S caused the switch from removable to HD status.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

The external USB drive is a docking station. I have a second HD that hasn't been accessed for over two years. It also appeared as a HD in My Computer so I think this is a Windows change.

Now after it's all cleaned up the DriveLetterView is able to delete! Go figure....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.