HDM12 Suite: BSOD when adding archive to library

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by brocks, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brocks

brocks Registered Member

I've been using Paragon for backups and restores for years, and this is the first time I've had anything like this happen. I am running Windows Pro 64-bit 8.1 and HDM12. From my "About" screen:

Paragon Hard Disk Manager™, version 10.1.19.16240 (22.11.12 ) Suite
    Component versions:
    hdm.dll, version 10.1, release 19, build 16240
    biont.dll, version 10.1, release 19, build 16240
    biont.sys, version 10.1, release 19, build 16240
    Paragon Base Services Library, version 1.1, build 14840 (22.11.12 )

This was a free upgrade from HDM 11.

I just got a new laptop, and I wanted to do a clean install of Win 8.1 on it, so I installed Paragon on it and backed up the C drive first. I backed it up to a USB stick that was formatted as FAT, so I had to use split archives. It came to a little over 8GB.

I copied the archive to my desktop PC, and I tried to add it to the Paragon archive library on the desktop. Windows crashed, with a BSOD and a message about "PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGE AREA"

I tried it again; it crashed again, same message. After restarting, I saw that this time, Paragon actually did add the new archive to the library before crashing, but it showed up as 3+ GB instead of 8+. However, I ran the archive integrity verifier on it, and it went through all three files (a 4GB .pbf file, a 4GB .001 file, and a 131MB .002 file) and reported the integrity was verified. I removed it from the archive, and tried to add it again. Windows crashed again.

I thought about what new stuff I had installed that could be causing it, and thought of VMWare Player. I uninstalled that, restarted, and tried again. It crashed again.

The only other thing that's changed in the PC since I last ran a backup is I switched to a wireless keyboard and mouse that use a USB port rather than the PS2 ports in the back of the PC. I don't think that's the cause.

I'm guessing it's the split archives that is the real difference here; I never had to use them on the desktop, because I always made my archives to internal NTFS hard drives that had plenty of space. But for this archive off the laptop, I had to use the USB stick, which needed split archives because of the FAT format.

It just occurred to me that I should test this by removing and adding a non-split archive to the library, but I don't want to have to retype this if Windows crashes again, so I'll try it after I post this.

Update: I removed and added a non-split archive with no problem, so I have to think it's the split that's causing the problem, although I have no idea why it should, or why it hasn't happened to anyone else that my limited googling skills can find.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Why don´t you format the USB stick with NTFS? Also, you created an image in an USB stick and then copied it back to a hard disk. Why didn´t you create the image in the hard disk in the first place? I think it´s not a god practice to copy images.

If you are using 8.1, you will probably get the standard answer from the Paragon people: 8.1 not supported in HDM 12, wait for HDM 14.

3. brocks

brocks Registered Member

The stick came formatted with FAT; I didn't even know it until I started the backup, and Paragon put up a message that said FAT had a maximum file size of 4GB and therefore it was automatically switching to split archives. If it didn't work with FAT at all, it should have said that.

I put it on the stick because that was the only thing I could attach to my laptop. I don't have a USB hard drive, and I don't see the point of making a backup to the same drive you're backing up. I could probably try to back it up directly to my desktop now that I have it connected by LAN, but they weren't connected at the time.

If Paragon doesn't support Win 8, then I guess that's what they'll say. They should know about this problem, though.

4. brocks

brocks Registered Member

Update: I got another BSOD when trying to mount an archive from a network shared drive. This archive was NTFS and not split, so my only conclusion is that HDM12 has problems with windows 8.1, even though I'm running on a backed up and restored Win 8.1 system right now.

5. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

8.1 is supported within the Hard Disk Manager 14 series, you will not receive support with 8.1 for an unsupported version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.