HDM backup with boot CD (Partitions ?)

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ASN, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ASN

ASN Registered Member

I just did my first backup using the bootable CD version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 14, rather than running the backup directly from my hard drive. I am concerned about the way that HDM is reporting my partitions, and have never seen this before with partioning, or backup software. Here are the partition letters and names that HDM reports:

C: ServiceV003
    E: SW_Preload
    F: Lenovo

Here are the real partition letters and names:

C: SW_Preload
    S: ServiceV003
    Q: Lenovo

I let the backup finish, and verify, but I am concerned about the outcome, should I need to do a "Restore" at some point.

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

All is well, don't worry. "Real partition letters" is a conventionality. Different loaded OS, for itself, can assign letters to partitions on the same drive on it own.
    Using the bootable CD, rather than running the backup directly from hard drive for backup an entire drive, I think is a good practice.

3. Sandunes

Sandunes Registered Member

Will lenovo recovery partitions still work after an image restore?

4. fireworker

Certainly. Why do you doubt?

5. ASN

ASN Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Fireworker.

6. fireworker

You´re welcome, ASN.
    I have an old (2011) netbook lenovo ideapad s10-3. And when I bought it there was Win7 with the same structure partitions, same names, as I remember. The first thing I do is to make a backup of the entire disk using HDM11 (i thought suddenly i want to sell in the future). Thereafter repartition various shots, different operating systems installed: Ubuntu, XP, Win8 .... A couple of times restoring from a backup, and it became as fresh from the store.

7. thinavila

thinavila Registered Member

I just created a back up of my C and D drives along with the MBR using HDM 14 and then tried to restore it using a bootable USB drive created with Paragon Recovery Media Builder. When the archive was reloaded, I found that the hidden 200MB WinRE partition had been named C and the actual C drive was named F. I did not proceed because I was not sure whether restoring with such faulty drive letters would render the system unbootable. I saw a similar problem posted under Windows 8.1, but I am using x64 Windows 7 Home Premium.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Drive letters don´t have any particular meaning. Letters assigned by Windows can be different to those assigned in WinPE or Linux recovery environments.

You can identify the partitions by name, size, file system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.