HDM 2012 WinPE can't see USB3 drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by oldaussiedog, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldaussiedog

oldaussiedog Registered Member

I have just updated to the latest 10.1.19.16240 software and made a WinPE recovery on flash drive using the recovery software 10.1.19.16299.

On bootup the bios sees a Seagate Expansion 2TB USB3 drive connected to a blue USB 3 port, however once the WinPE recovery has loaded, the drive is no longer visible, even as a USB 2. Normally the USB ports are handled by Renesas drivers (latest drivers installed).

The WinPE recovery does see the drive if it is connected to a USB 2 port.

The standard Linux recovery sees the drive as a USB2 when it is connected to the USB3 Port.

(a) Is it possible to add Renesas driver support to the WinPE recovery, and if so how do I go about doing this, and

(b) Would Paragon's HDM 12 recovery support it as USB 3 if the driver were added

The operating system is Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Follow this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=335734 on how to add drivers to WinPE.

If you purchase HDM12S, use the Boot Media Builder, add 64-bit drivers not 32-bit, it'll work. HDM12S has a new app that create a bootable recovery on a USB flash drive unless you want a CD/DVD recovery.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The drivers needed depend on how the WinPE is built.

If you use the Boot Media Builder with WAIK, you get a 32-bit WinPE 3.0/3.1 without USB 3.0 drivers. You must add 32-bit drivers.

If you use the Boot Media Builder with WADK, you get a 64-bit WinPE 4.0 with USB 3.0 drivers included.

If you use the Recovery Media Builder, you get a 64-bit WinPE. 3.0/3.1 built with WinRE, without USB 3.0 drivers. You must add 64-bit drivers.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Robin.

I haven't used it for a while, but from memory Boot Media Builder will create the same bit version as you are currently running.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

My previous post reflects my experiences building WinPEs in a Windows 7 x64 computer. When I have used Boot MB and WAIK, I have always needed to add 32-bit drivers. When I tried the Recovery MB, I had to add 64-bit drivers.

Currently I am working mostly with a WinPE built with WADK. It has USB 3.0 drivers and loads somewhat faster than the others.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You might be using the old BMB. New one comes with both 32 and 64 bit components.

Not sure why you need wadk - doesn't RMB use winre.wim? Maybe it can't find it.

I have just made something which should be able to do it. Perhaps you could give it a whirl. Should work on either bit version of win 7 or 8.

7. oldaussiedog

Robin,

Thanks.
    I've tried adding USB3 drivers to BMB constructed with WAIK but it still didn't see the drive on the USB3 port. I've seen some posts that suggest WinPE 3 doesn't support USB3, even if the drivers are added.

I've also made one with WADK (WinPE 4) and it did see and transfer to and from the USB3 drive OK using its own internal drivers.

I wasn't aware I could add drivers to RMB during the media build. Can you explain how to do that please.

8. oldaussiedog

Thanks Bill
    If by HDM12S you mean Hard Disk Manager 12 suite, then that is what I am using (build 10.1.19.16240). I initially used the new Recovery Media Builder 10.1.19.16299 to build a flash drive recovery (64 bit), but it didn't see the USB3 drive attached to the USB3 port. As I've indicated in another response here, I wasn't aware I could add drivers to the RMB during the build. Perhaps you mean add them after the recovery has booted up, via the tools menu. In that case, can the drivers be located on the RMB flash drive.

9. oldaussiedog

SIW2,
    When the RMB didn't see the drive on the USB3 port, I dropped back to BMB build 10.1.19.16240. I didn't have any luck with WAIK and added drivers, but a straight build with WADK (PE 4) handled the USB3 drive OK.

I'm going to have a look at using your PARAGONPEv5.ZIP and see how I go with that though.

10. wptski

wptski Registered Member

There isn't any option to add drivers with the RMB at any time.

The BMB with 16240 build, your using 64-bit, WAIK, you must use the 64-bit USB 3.0 drivers. Before that build, one had to use the 32-bit.

We were having that problem till SIW2 came up with the answer.

11. oldaussiedog

OK, thank you all for your assistance.

Part of the issue has been trying to get a usable 32 bit Renesas USB3 port and hub drivers when I only have a 64 bit system, and without those, I wasn't able to get any of the 32 bit approaches to work in so far as USB3 support.

The two options that work for me are:-

(a) To use the standard Recovery Media Builder 10.1.19.16299 which on my PC produces a 64 bit recovery environment, and to add in the 64 bit Renesas USB3 drivers for both the hub and the USB3 ports AFTER boot up via the Add driver option in the tools media. I've copied the Renesas driver files for the hub and port onto the recovery flash drive.

(b) To use the Boot Media Builder 10.1.19.16240 with WADK (PE 4) which produces a 64 bit environment with USB3 support without having to add additional files.

Whilst both of the above methods work, I found the WinPE 4 option (b) a bit slower to boot, and the backup to the USB3 2TB Seagate Extension drive slower than when I used option (a) with the correct Renesas drivers. Since adding in the drivers after boot when I'm using the USB3 port is quite simple, I'll stay with that method.

Again, thanks for the assistance, it was greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.