HDM 14 PRO, VMDK and free space

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Zupermario, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Zupermario

Zupermario Registered Member

Hello,
    i'm trying to copy a vmware virtual disk (.vmdk) to a new virtual disk. Source virtual disk is a 11gb and it's almost full, so i created a new virtual hard disk 20gb. Free space on real hard drive of source virtual hard disk is 21gb. Free space on real hard drive of destination hard disk is 80gb.

The question is:
    why i cant just copy 11gb from a virtual disk of 11gb on a real hard disk with 21gb free space, upon the new virtual hard disk of 20gb on a real hard disk with 80gb free space??

HDM message:
    "Insufficient disk space.
    Not enough free space to expand virtual disk. (expando_O??)
    Please free some space on the volume where virtual disk container resides to continue the current operation."

It seems to me absurd...

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

It depends on the type of provisioning you are dealing with on the virtual disk file. If it is thick provisioned, that is why you are potentially running into that error, the other option will be to try it at the partition level.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.