HDM 14 Pro and Bitlocker

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Paul Nutt, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Paul Nutt

Paul Nutt Registered Member

Sorry, I haven't completely gone through the user guide and my question is simpler than the other Bitlocker question in this forum.

Nothing fancy here. I want to backup my work laptop which is Windows 7 x64 Enterprise and drive is encrypted with Bitlocker. I am a local admin so I can manage Bitlocker and have access to the keys.

Is it as simple as I install HDM 14 Pro, suspend Bitlocker, and backup with HDM in Windows? And if I have to restore, I assume I would suspend Bitlocker (if possible) and restore from the HDM recovery environment (if I had to restore the entire partition)?

Let me know if it's easier or harder than I make it seem. :) I've never managed Bitlocker and don't know how it affects backing up and restoring using a recovery environment. Obviously files are not an issue with a healthy Windows environment, but I want to be able to recover the entire partition if necessary.

I'm also thinking about swapping the HD for an SSD for performance and I've also never done a migration with Bitlocker.

Thx.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The information available in the HDM 14 Pro User Manual seems simple and clear. To work with bitlocked partitions, it´s necessary to unlock them first.

3. Paul Nutt

I guess I'll wait until Monday to see if anyone has something besides a non-answer. But congrats on upping your post count by one.

Anyway... Here's the process someone ignorant like me goes through and why I must to come to a forum for assistance. It's obvious from my question I have no idea what I'm talking about.

• HDM User Manual says encrypted volumes must be "unlocked"
    • Windows 7 UI has "Turn on", "Suspend", and "Manage"
    • Windows 7 Help has "Turn off"
    • Google "unlocked" and end up with many articles on turning Bitlocker off
    • So at this point "unlocked" means "turning off" Bitlocker which will get me fired *and* HDM can only backup when Bitlocker is turned off
    • That doesn't make sense so I keep looking
    • I eventually make the connection that unlocked means still installed, still working, and it's not a giant ball of random characters
    • Because my laptop has one partition, if I'm using Windows then it's unlocked. All the examples were for a separate data partition which contributed to my corn-fusion.

At least now I have a slight understanding. Backup from Windows: No problem. Back up from recovery media: Must unlock it. Restore from recovery media: Must unlock it and assume it will just go back and be happy. I also assume that suspended means that it is unlocked until I un-suspend Bitlocker.

I'm a technical guy but this is far away from what I know. Here's a better answer for my question: "You don't need to suspend Bitlocker to backup from HDM in Windows." I'd have follow up questions but at least there would be some knowledge transfer.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I will "upp" my post count by another one.

The manual uses Windows 8 or 8.1 as examples, as the images indicate. Operations can have different names in Windows 7. The manual doesn´t detail this and refers the reader to unspecified MS docs. And it´s clear to me that BitLocker must me "unlocked" even if working from Windows.

What I don´t understand is, if the "unlock" operations are executed from Windows or from the command line in the WinPE boot medium, why is BitLocker not supported in the Suite edition?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  5. Paul Nutt

lol - That is what I was trying to puzzle out today so I'm glad someone knowledgeable has the same question. It makes me feel like I almost know something. :)

Perhaps someone from Paragon would clarify? Here's a post from Paragon_Chris earlier this year before the release of HDM 14 Pro:

"Due to the nature of the encryption used with Windows and Bitlocker the only way we can accurately back up a bitlocker encrypted drive would be a file level backup when you have the drive unencrypted or a drive level with raw processing."

I'm OK taking this a face value and not understanding why, but I didn't want to purchase the Pro version if I didn't need to (and save some $$$).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.