HDM 14 - Migrate HDD to SSD not bootable, BMB wont make WinPE

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by marunder, Jan 1, 2014.

1. marunder

marunder Registered Member

I just bought HDM 14 as a way to migrate Win 7 64 to a new 120 gb SSD. During the migration I unselected a number of files and folders to fit, ended up with what seems to be correct partitions and sizes but the SSD is not recognized as bootable.

When I used BMB to try to make a bootable WinPE flash drive to fix this it did not work. The error said:

"Cannot Complete Boot Media Builder.
    The selected .iso doesnt include a bootable WinPE environment. Please select .iso image of the bootable WinPE CD/DVD/BDE."

The .iso I downloaded from Microsoft (led by following the prompt "Use a standard image supplied with the program.") was "KB3AIK_EN.iso".

Help much appreciated.

Mark

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It´s not clear to me what you did with this ISO.

To create the WinPE, you must install WAIK. To install it, you either mount the downloaded ISO (with Virtual CloneDrive or something similar), or burn the ISO to a DVD. Then you execute wAIKAMD64.msi.

Once WAIK is installed, you run Boot Media Builder. It detects automatically the WAIK installation and works with it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  3. marunder

Thanks very much for the quick reply! Clearly I was confused o_O and remain less knowledgeable than I like....

I was able to use VirtualCloneDrive to generate a WAIK via executing wAIKAMD64.msi. BMB was able to progress further, though at the end it says "Bootable flash creation has failed." I am not sure what to add at the various steps in the BMB process (eg, configure network connection, driver injectors for the media...). Could I have made an error there?

Might ESET antivirus or Private firewall be interfering?

I have been looking at various sites to try to understand this aspect of Windows for quite a few hours today, but find it slow going... Many sites seem directed at IT pros. Is there a good tutorial on this likely very simple item that someone can suggest?

I did execute the wAIKAMD64.msi - is it possible either wAIKIA64.msi or wAIKX86.msi might work?

my specs in case it is useful:
    Gateway 4860 UR-14P
    ASEC mobo IPISB-VR REV: 1.01
    Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz
    Intel H67 chipset
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

PS edit - I used the win7 iso from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5753, but I see there is a SP1 update as well - is that needed?

4. honeyBQ

honeyBQ Registered Member

Excellent thread, sound advice. Went through nearly the same said scenario installing 120GB Intel SSD and dashed to download wAIK for Windows XP (and then was told I had to be running Windows XP Pro to utilize the wAIK by a CNE! Great Scot!! That's a kick in the head after spending the time to hunt down the wAIKx86 (a bit of a sizeable dwnld). Still I'm in the midst of spec testing the authenticity of his statement. Will post back after running the wAIKx86 (32 Bit) version with the pARAGON BMB and WILL post back. I see I'm not the only one "mucking about in the "boot media bog" w/this.

5. honeyBQ

You have to run the MS wAIK x64 (Microsoft wAIK 64 Bit) with the pARAGON BMB if you are trying to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 (Microsoft Windows x64). I have my Intel 120 GB SSD up and running Windows 7x64 (with all the "bells & performance whistles" functioning synchroniously). I didn't really need to utilize the MS wAIK to do it, simply copied all my Windows 7x64 Operating System and user files (with Paragon HDMS 2014 File Transfer Wizard) over to my 120 GB SSD. No prob doing it that way, either. It can be done, but then again - everyone's machine may be assembled with a vastly different array of OEM hardware and peripherals (HDD/SDD disk controllers, chipsets, Rapid Storage Drivers (some us the old Intel Matrix Storage drivers), various lan adapters, dvd/hd blue-ray drives and the lot. I hope you manage to setup your 120 GB SSD. It is the best thing I could do to put my old laptop back to working order since its old 500 GB HDD "bit the last byte" and that was all she wrote

6. honeyBQ

You can purchase a USB SATA/SSD cable (if your SSD didn't come equipped with a "laptop kit" that includes a transfer cable suited to connect to your laptop via USB port and the other end of the cable's connector is attached accordingly to snuggly connect to the 120 GB SSD's connector pins (be careful attaching and disconnecting some of these cables connections as some are VERY snug and you should take care not to lose the grip on the SSD trying to remove the cable - been there! Wreckage.

7. honeyBQ

YES, you should keep up with priority updates such as Windows 7 Service Packs. Rarely have I ever found them to be optional as a Microsoft Operating System gets on in age (2 - 3 years after initial release, especially). Get the Service Pack 1 (SP1) update for Windows 7x64. Do download and install this Service Pack 1 update as recommended by Microsoft. Delaying could leave you vulnerable to various system errors and security exploits. You want to avoid that after finally being able to install your Windows 7 (64 bit) operating system on your 120 GB SSD. I hope you can resolve the installation of you SSD. Note: Many Intel SSD come equipped with data migration cable kits that are for Desktop PC's (as well as laptop kits). Always check when purchasing an SSD if these cables (certain brands of USB external SATA HDD/SSD "transfer case" type devices are incompatible with various disk migration or disk management software utilities. I hope I haven't bored you pieces with all the feedback.

8. marunder

Great! Thank you also honeyBBQ. I will try that wAIK x64 approach now since I am nearly there. If that does not work will perhaps try the HDMS File Transfer Wizard approach

I do have SP1 and other updates installed on my computer, I don't ignore those :) there is a Win7 SP1 wAIK update I was speaking of. From more searching and a bit o reading I think it provides additional tools for IT pros, not sure if it is required actually for what I am doing.

Not at all, good info for me! :cool: Much appreciate your time and input!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. marunder

10. honeyBQ

Go to Microsoft Windows Downloads website. There is a executable program that makes Windows 7 bootable USB installation. Read as follows:

How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 7

December 9, 2012

Computers, Deployment & Imaging, Microsoft Windows, Operating Systems, Windows 7 Machine Requirements

¦An ISO of the Windows 7 installation DVD or a Windows 7 disc.

¦You can download ISO’s from the list of Windows 7 ISO Direct Download Links.

¦You’ll still need your own valid product id key to activate Windows 7.

¦A USB Flash Drive that has a capacity of 4GB or larger.

¦This USB flash drive will be totally erased and formatted with NTFS!

¦All data on this USB flash drive will be lost!

How to Make a Bootable USB Flash Drive Without Using the bootsect Command:

¦You’ll need the DiskPart utility on the system you will use to prep the USB flash drive. This is a free disk partitioning utility that may already be installed on your Windows system. If not, you can download DiskPart.exe from Microsoft.

¦Insert the target USB Flash Drive into the computer

¦Start the DiskPart utility by typing diskpart at a command prompt, and issue the following commands:

Command Description

list disk <== Use to identify the drive number of the USB flash drive.

select disk 1 <== Where the “1? is the corresponding number of your USB flash drive.

clean <== Erases everything from the USB flash drive

create partition primary <== create a primary partition

select partition 1 <== selects partition 1

active <== Makes the partition active/bootable

format fs=ntfs quick <== Sets up the file system as NTFS

assign <== (you have to type in your computers USB drive's drive assignment letter (example is: "F:" ) This command gives your USB flash drive which means a drive letter, so that you can access it from Windows Explorer. The next available drive letter will be assigned.

Exit <== Exits you out of the DiskPart WindDos prompt command line utility by typing "EXIT" after the C:> prompt in the command prompt Win DOS window. REMEMBER: after you type exit you then MUST HIT the [ENTER] key. The Command Prompt window will most likely close after you press the [ENTER] key. You may have to re-open the WinDOS Command Prompt window again if you need to run more commands in a WinDos CMD.exe command line manner. You should run the CMD.exe (command line execution program as Administrator of your computer)

¦Copy everything from the Windows 7 installation DVD or ISO onto the USB flash drive.

¦You now have a bootable USB flash drive that you can use to install Windows 7.

Using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to Create a Bootable Windows 7 USB Flash Drive

¦Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool from the Microsoft Store

¦If the “Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool” thinks the ISO is invalid then:

-->THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AVDP Copy Tool. Rafael Rivera's website is loaded with advertisements and spyware and so I avoided utilizing his AVDP Copy Tool. You may use the Windows 7 ISO AVDP Copy Tool by Rafael Rivera to patch the ISO but BEWARE of the Download Managers that are utilized to download it. They are saturated with Ads & "nags".

¦Or, open the ISO with PowerISO (full version), go to File > File properties, Check UDF, and then press OK

Note:

¦If you’re trying to create a 64-bit USB bootable device using a 32-bit version of Windows, then the last step of the “Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool,” running bootsect, to make the USB flash drive bootable will fail.

¦You’ll have to download the 32-bit version of bootsect.exe from your account in the Microsoft Store.

¦See: “When creating a bootable USB device, I am getting an error about bootsect” under the Troubleshooting section

¦Or, insert the USB flash drive into a 64-bit Windows 7 PC and issue the following command from the command prompt.

(Replace F: with the drive lettter of the USB flash drive):

bootsect /nt60 F: /mbr

==> Hope this is of some assistance. Hope all goes well for you. Thank you for alerting me to the SP1 for MS Windows 7 wAIK x86 & x64 bit versions. I DID NOT KNOW about this since I have been busy perfecting my partition alignment on my various HDDs & SSDs. Partition alignment is significant improvement of overall performance on most any HDD or SSD.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do you have a link to this info?

12. marunder

Thank you honeyBBQ for all the info :D much appreciated! Will get to this ASAP, various other things I have to take care of first!

Hi ronjor, I do not know what the link might be you speak of - will post if I can figure out what is needed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.