HDM 12 Suite and BMB updates

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Robin A., Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Paragon MA,

BR Free 2012 is not compatible with winsdows 8 RP.

HDM12 Pro is not compatible with windows 8 RP.

Perhaps Paragon could remove the mount drivers until new ones are available.

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Start again! Dah? I'm confused now, what are you using now? I thought that we both were flipping back/forth between HDM12S 15177 and 15808 build??

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I'll have to check that out later. A four month backup is just about useless to me.

EDIT:
    Yes, that works on both HDM11S and HDM12S archives. So a full restore can be achieved from a using a PBF file?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  4. dfw

dfw Registered Member

Yes that now works, it was the main folder and PFI that confused me

Great, that s good news.

5. dfw

dfw Registered Member

I mean restore system back to a point were HDM has no been installed and try the new build with new fresh install, I must of uninstalled and reinstalled both build loads of times. but if there working on the incompatibility issues there's no point now, just wait and see if it's fixed.

6. wptski

wptski Registered Member

A few companies provide a special cleaner program that removes every bit of their products from your system. McAfee has this.

HDM11S archives don't contain a PFI file.

7. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

That's right. PFI is a new feature for hdd\partition backups.

8. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

Our products are tested with Developer and Consumer Preview.
    Release Preview can't run full-scale launcher. But you can run wizards executables directly from \program subfolder in "Program Files".

9. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Okay, we can select a PBF file and browse files within but can we execute a full restore somehow using the PBF file? Normally one selects the archive and away you go. My archives are basic or full HD images.

10. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

I have just uninstalled HDM 12 Pro ver 10.0.19.15177 to install ver 10.1.19.15808. During the uninstall process I had the message “Error 1310.Error writing to file: C:\Config.Msi\57acdb.rbf. Verify that you have access to that directory.” I selected “Retry” and the process continued, Install Shield Wizard Completed successfully. Some registry entries were left untouched, the program/appdata folder with some files were NOT deleted.

Then I uninstalled Boot Media Builder for Paragon HDM 12; several 1310 errors (just click “Retry” and the process continued. These 1310 errors were logged by the Event Viewer.

I installed HDM 12 Pro and BMB ver 10.1.19.15808. HDM 12 was installed in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon_Software\Hard_Disk_Manager_12_Professional” (with underscores) whilst the old program folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional” (with spaces) still exists with total file size 10.3 MB. The new BMB was installed to the old program folder BMB to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Boot Media Builder for Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional”.

Is this mess necessary? Can I delete “c:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional” with subdirs?

11. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I've uninstalled/installed both versions several times in a couple of days with no errors. Never ever had any errors during a uninstall of a Paragon product.

I don't see any reason that you couldn't delete the files unless it shows up in your Control Panel as still installed.

12. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Perhaps the program was uninstalled from a user account, without the necessary privileges.

13. John Doe Genius

Thanks for your answers.

@wptski: Do you now (with 10.1.19.15808 (08.06.12) Professional) have HDM 12 in a “underscore program files directory” (Paragon_Software) and BMB in a “space program files directory” (Paragon Software)?

That is what I call a mess (and asked whether it was necessary to do it this way).

@Robin A.
    My computer has only one account (with administrator privileges of course).

It was strange that with just clicking <Retry>, the process completed successfully. BTW, I reinstalled Windows 7 Pro with SP1 in the middle of April this year, the OS is fully updated.

14. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, I know.

I think it is because the uim drivers will bsod .

It would be a good idea for Paragon to remove the mount drivers - certainly from the BR 12 free.

I would be good to get the current win8 users running Paragon.

Otherwise paragon will miss the boat.

I am waiting for it to work before introducing it to them.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  15. wptski

wptski Registered Member

It's installed without the underscores. I don't have BMB installed right now as I just made ISO files of the 15177 and 15808 versions.

I still have folders from HDM11S with files! One is Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite and other is Hard Disk Manager 2011 Suite. I assume they changed the name on an update.

16. Robin A.

To check, I installed and uninstalled HDM 12 Suite v. 15808 (with Returnil enabled). No error messages were reported. After uninstall, three folders and one log file remained:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite\uim\uimsetup.log.

17. John Doe Genius

Maybe on your computer, wptski, but not on mine!

@wptski and Robin A.: It looks like we have different versions of the program. You have the Suite (?), I have the Pro version, look at the attached image.

Yes, on a rainy day, I shall try a uninstall and reinstall, Robin A. As far as I can recall, a weakness with Paragon's uninstall program is that you have no option to remove files created after the installation (logs and so on).

Before my retirement I was working with creation of installers (but not with the msi-technology). I was very anxious to give the user the option to have a complete uninstallation, no Revo Uninstaller (a very good product, BTW) or something like that, should be needed.

Attached Files:

18. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I am using HDMPro 15808.

I do not have underscores.

Looks like ( for whatever reason) you didn't uninstall the earlier version first - therefore the 15808 installer added the underscores to avoid overwriting ?

Seems like a good idea to me.

19. wptski

wptski Registered Member

That's similiar to what I see on my PC with a slight name change by Paragon but I didn't get any errors.

Yes, we are using a different product than you are.

20. Robin A.

Today I received an e-mail from Paragon:

"Hard Disk Manager 12 SP1 is out!
    We are pleased to announce that the major update for our best-selling Hard Disk Manager 12 has just been released and is available both for Suite and Pro editions!"

This "major update" is not free. And according to the e-mail, "Build of Hard Disk Manager 12 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is 14408".

The update that this thread refers to is build 15808. So, what is HDM 12 SP1?. Confusing.

21. John Doe Genius

Interesting!

No, I did uninstall the previous version (“During the uninstall process I had the message...”). I had error 1310 during the uninstall of both HDM12 and BMB.

If an “install on top” is going to create underscore folders for HDM12, but not for BMB, the underscore solution is far from a good idea, IMO.

“On a rainy day” I shall uninstall build 15808, reinstall build 15177. And then repeat the upgrade process. Let us see what then happens...

22. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

EDIT - It is build 14408 version 15808

Same as the one you have already.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  23. wptski

wptski Registered Member

In the past with Paragon products it won't let one install a new version with the a previous version installed. You get a pop up stating to uninstall first. I just learned to do this first.

24. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I thought that's what HDM12S waso_O?

25. John Doe Genius

The rainy day appeared earlier than expected. Last night I tried:

# Uninstalled BMB for HFM 12, no leftovers
    # Uninstalled HDM 12 v15808, Error 1310: “Error writing to file C:\Config.Msi\342e4f5.rbf. Verify that you have access to that directory.” Selected button <Retry>, the process continued, “InstalShield Wizard Completed”. Leftovers:
    ¤ Registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders, 5 entries with D:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon_Software\..., Manually DELETED.
    ¤ Folders/files: C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon_Software\Hard_Disk_Manager_12_Professional with subfolders
    Files: In subfolder \PfmLibr: f58b8adb.pfm, fee1706d.pfm;
    in subfolder \program: arc.log BioNtLog.txt cdb.log fdisk.txt pwlog.txt stubact.log;
    in subfolder \uim: uimsetup.log

IMO, the uninstaller does not completely clean up the disk/registry. I manually deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional\ with all subfolders and files.

# Installed Paragon-233-PRE_WinPERCD_10.0.19.15177_000_A.exe. The program suggested folder with underscore (attachment). Changed underscore to spaces: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional\”, “InstalShield Wizard Completed”

Why is the underscore folders suggested? First time I installed 15177, normal spaces was suggested. Now I have several Paragon products, but they are installed on drive D: as:
    D:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Migrate OS to SSD 2.0 Special Edition\,
    and – surprise! -
    D:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon_Software\Virtualization_Manager_12_Compact\ [UNDERSCORE!] (Both are “Give Away Offers ...”)

I successfully installed Paragon-233-PRE_BMBInstallSNU_10.0.19.15177_000.msi in a normal space folders on drive C:. Rebooted, started HDM 12: Paragon Hard Disk Manager™, version 10.0.19.15177 (27.02.12 ) Professional, everything seems to be OK

NOW, WE ARE GOING TO UPGRADE TO V 15808:

# First: Tried to install new version "on top".
    You are right, wptski.

# Uninstalled BMB, no leftovers.
    # Uninstalled HDM12 Pro, no errors, but some leftovers in the Registry and some files in the program folder. I manually deleted all files/folders except C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\.

# Still the 15808 installer suggested folders with underscore. I manually deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software; still underscore folders are suggested, I changed to “normal spaces”. Installation completed with success.

# Installed Paragon-233-PRE_BMBInstallSNU_10.1.19.15808_000.msi without problems. The “underscore behaviour” is just a HDM12 Pro issue. I really do not understand why, (I am going to remove/change D:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon_Software\Virtualization_Manager_12_Compact).

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.