HDDerase

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mike81, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike81

mike81 Registered Member

I'm trying to use HDDerase. I want to wipe my HDD, except for the recovery partition. It's my understanding that HDDerase will not touch the recovery partition. Is that correct?

Also, I'm getting some conflicting info about the meaning of Enhanced Secure Erase. According to the HDDerase ReadMe.txt:

Q: What is the difference between secure erase and enhanced secure erase?

A: Secure erase overwrites all user data areas with binary zeroes. Enhanced secure erase writes predetermined data patterns (set by the manufacturer) to all user data areas, including sectors that are no longer in use due to reallocation. ***NOTE: the enhanced secure erase option is not supported by all ATA drives.

However, I have also read that Enhanced Secure Erase is where the drives encryption key is deleted therefore making the data unrecoverable. It only takes a few seconds.

So, which is it? Is the encryption key just deleted or is the drive overwritten?

Thank your for your time.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

formatting is just as good and is gentler on drive and takes less time. But anyhow, yes it will not touch recover partition, it doesn't see it

3. mike81

mike81 Registered Member

So, you are telling me that a regular format (without using HDDerase or similar software) will prevent data from being recovered? Also, which is correct about Enhanced Secure Erase?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Well good old format will certainly prevent most people from retrieving any meaningful data and as for so called enhanced erase it doesn't really matter it will still wipe the drive just as good as the other one you mentioned. Bottom line neither of us will know for sure what it does (except being an overkill and snake oil) and you will just have to trust its description from the help file

5. mike81

mike81 Registered Member

I'm not trying to be rude, but did you even read the question? I want to know which description of Enhanced Secure Erase is correct. Does it overwrite the disk or just the encryption key?

If it overwrites the drive including remapped sectors, then it is certainly better than regular secure erase which does not (I believe).

6. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Are you guys keeping the discussion open for me? :doubt:

HDDErase can see and wipe the hidden partition.

I used HDDErase version 3 available on UBCD version 4.1. As it progresses into the menu of choices it will ask, after asking which device to wipe, a second question "Do you want to erase the LBA...?", this is the hidden partition. Answering yes to the device and no to the LBA will wipe the device while preserving the hidden partition.

If you are concerned about this partition you should create a backup of it to ensure it survives.

The developer designed into the specification and for the hardware what they state in their readme, but it is up to each manufacturer what and how it is implemented within the hardware in the drive. It will be much easier for you to test a supporting drive, if you have one, and verify your dilemma than to wade through the drive manufacturers support system seeking their information on the matter. I was never able to acquire a drive to test, limited resources and high prices on these drives were a major factor.

I don't know if BIOS support may be required for an SED. Had I acquired an SED and found I needed a BIOS option that I didn't have, I would have been angry for the waste of time, mulling my mistake over a game of Crush the Castle.

7. mike81

mike81 Registered Member

Thank you for the help.

It turns out that my drive does not support Secure Erase. I ended up using Dban. I had a backup of my recovery partition and was able to restore it after Dban was finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.