HDD failure and recovery from external archive

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

If the shoe fits, wear it.

If not, share it.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ATI allows you to restore a system partition to the same system partition.
    You open ATI under Windows, start the restore wizard, click the "Proceed" button, ATI will verify the backup file and then ask you to reboot.
    After reboot ATI continues the restoration and after clicking the OK-button, ATI will start Windows.
    I do it always this way, because I don't like to use the Recovery CD.
    I only use this CD, when ATI isn't available anymore, for instance when I zeroed my harddisk.
    That's why I tested ATI for two weeks to try each possibility.

But I don't recommend it, because ATI is considered as unreliable. Use IFD to restore your system partition. :)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hey. Sometimes it's the obvious we overlook. Personally I love reminders. Also sometimes it doesn't hurt to be scared a bit. My computer(s) are vital to my business, and although I've planned backups in total detail, I never considered having a machine totally quit. But it happened. That was indeed a wake up call.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Uhm, is there some kind of pattern? :D

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

That was the second time I had to do a total OS re-install since getting my new box in Apr. First was 062806 and second was 071206. Both times I couldn't use FD-ISR, nor could I do a repair re-install. Both times it was a corrupt config.sys or system.cfg file. Don't recall. The primary snapshot already contaminated the secondary snapshot, so it was useless. Then I tried my archived snapshot, wouldn't work. I thought it was because I defragmented my archived snapshots. Not so. But the bottom line is that this time I left out some previously installed files. Then when I installed Cyberhawk again last week, same stuff started to happen again. Un-installed it before too much damage was done, updated my snapshot from secondary to primary, and Viola!!! Stable system.

Just goes to show that when installing software: Only one app at a time and give it sufficent time to work it's magic or do it's damage.

Wish I could follow my own advice :oops:

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If I want an exciting moment on a computer, I restore my system partition for fun. :)

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hahahaaaa, I don't think there's much else than that to do at 3:09 on a Thursday morning !:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.