HD with TrueCrypt pre-boot PW can't remove it

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by die, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. die

die Registered Member

Hi All,

Got to this Forum while searching on my issue without result. Therefore this request of Help.
    I did setup a HD with w7 and then installed TrueCrypt (TC) with pre-boot PW. That was just a test to see how it would work. This I did some months back but then never used it.
    Today I wanted to access it (just a try to see if I remember the PW) but didn't. So I re-format that HD. That did not work out. When I put the HD into my netBook, press F11 to boot from CD drive, it will still ask for the Master PW by TC. Strange! I thought a simple Re-format will do it. Also I tried to Mount that HD but it asks for a PW that I don't have anymore.

Anyone can help how get I rid of this blockage? Many thanks in advance.

BTW: I have nothing on the HD to be preserved.

Your help is much appreciated.

2. die

die Registered Member

No remedy for my issue? ;)

Let me try again - any Help pls?
    Thanks!

3. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Boot off the Win 7 Disk and go to Repair>Advanced Tools (where you get the option for the command prompt). Type bootrec.exe /fixmbr

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

You also could have restored the Windows MBR by hitting F8 in the TC Boot Loader...but it's too late now, since you formatted first.

PD

4. die

die Registered Member

When I want to boot from CD (hitting F11 - choose to boot from CD) with a Win7 CD in it and at the same time I have the TC pre-boot HDD connected over USB, it will then be asked to enter the TC pre-boot Password. To me that seems not right anyway as the pre-boot should not be triggered when you want to boot from a CD.

But let me try again --> will report back.

5. PaulyDefran

Set the CD as the first boot device in the BIOS, make sure a Windows 7 Install disk is in there, and re-boot it. It *has* to try the CD first. Alternatively, most BIOS' have a "Boot Menu" (F8 on my Asus board), that will bring up all the devices you can boot from. Check your motherboard manual for the key, or read the BIOS screen really fast! :D

PD

6. die

die Registered Member

That seems to be the trick. My CD is "after" the USB on the boot list. Will change that now.
    Let me report back by tomorrow.
    Many thanks PD for the help and taking up the dialogue.

7. PaulyDefran

Be advised, I've only ever done this with the hard drive in question *IN* the computer as the only device. I don't know how bootrec.exe handles a drive attached via USB.

PD

8. die

die Registered Member

Ok, I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.