HD Tune

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have been using this utility for a while with windows xp - no problem, nice utility.

I downloaded it on vista computer. It isn't working properly -the "health report" is blank. On their website, at the download page, it says...

Supported operating systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server, Windows Vista

However,on the manual page (section 2) it says the following are supported...
    - Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP 64-bit, Windows 2003 Server

So on the manual page, Vista is not mentioned. Does anyone know if HD Tune runs on vista? If yes, what could I be doing wrong to get the blank page? If not, can anyone recommend a reasonable alternative that does run on Vista?

Thanks,
    Len

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Len,

I checked HD Tune out on two of my Vista 32-bit desktops and the Health (SMART) tab works as expected for all eight hard drives. Privileges shouldn't be a problem since HD Tune needs no special privileges to install or run. Try using PassMark DiskCheckup™ and see if it's able to read your drive's SMART info.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks Nick - I'll take a look at it. Any thoughts as to why HD Tunes would not work on a laptop (SOny) running Vista Home?

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

One possibility is that the BIOS option for SMART monitoring may be set to "disabled".

5. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hi LenC,
    My wife and two of my daughters have Sony Laptops. I tried using HD Tune on two of the Sonys and couldn't get it to work but honestly didn't try very hard. I want to say that the problem had to do with Limited User but can't remember for sure although one Sony was supposedly Admin account. Vista was barking about something at startup that kept it from loading properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.