HD to DVD (Drag-to-Disc)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NoGuru, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

I want to move an Acronis TrueImage from my hard drive onto a DVD. The image consists of 3 .tib files, the first two being 4,194,300 KB and the third being 2,913,077 KB. I did not assign these sizes--TI did.

The Drag-to-Disc icon is on my desktop. I opened Windows Explorer and dragged the first of the three files onto D2D, which said it's preparing the disc and then proceeded to copy the file. When I double clicked it, a message said the file is corrupted, please choose another file.

While the file was being copied, on the status bar it said 3.99 GB. And in another window (D2D?) I saw something like Capacity 3.96, Size 3.97. This is my first effort doing this. A Support document mentioned "image archive splitting." If I was supposed to do that, I don't know where to do it or how to do it.

Help will be most appreciated. : )

2. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

I just copied the same file to a new DVD-R, this time formatting the disc first. When I double-click the file in Windows Explorer, I get the same message. Am I trying to open it in the wrong place?

3. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

Why am I not receiving help with this problem? I'm using TI 8, build 937. I'd appreciate a response from the Acronis moderator.

4. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

NoGuru

Don't know if I'm going to be able to help you, but I to use TI V8 937. Its the most reliable release of them all. I don't know if Acronis has stopped supporting V8 (Because V9 is now available), but I Do the same procedure that u do. I burn my .TIB files to a external USB attached Hard drive. Then once a month I burn the .TIB files to a DVD-RW. Now because of several burning method limitations, its my understanding that you need to reduce the file size of the .TIB files. I either use 2240MB = 2 files per DVD or 1490MB = 3 files per DVD. It works all of the time with 937, I even perform test recoveries once in a while to make myself feel better. So I know it works. But I donot use DRAG TO DISK. I either use ROXIO or NERO to burn these disks. I just updated to a new Lite-on DVD-RW device and only have upgraded my NERO software at this time, so I can only test and use NERO.

My recommendation to you is to use smaller block sizes. If you want to use the DRAG to DISK feature, then you need to adhere to the 1490MB size.

Now you said you could not find where to specify the SIZE. After you specify to either create a FULL image backup or a incremental, you should be prompted to specify IMAGE ARCHIVE SPLITTING. There are two selections: 1) AUTOMATIC - which is the default or 2) - FIXED SIZE. Select number 2) FIXED SIZE and supply the 1490MB in the SPECIFY SIZE FIELD. Make sure you hit either TAB or ENTER before proceeding (I have had problems in this area) Also make sure you type the MB after the numeric size.

You should be now good to go.

I hope this helps - Storage_man

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Using "drag to disk" with dvd media is iffy at best. Trying to use it with Acronis True Image is like "living dangerously" - walking on an Iraq street with a target on your back :D . Take storage man's advice and use your burning software to burn the files as regular data to the dvd.

6. NoGuru

NoGuru Registered Member

Thanks very much, SM. Somewhere along the way, I either read or was told that I had to use Drag to Disk. Tomorrow I'll try it the way you've described. Thanks also for the splitting instructions. N.

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

I have never heard of first formatting -r or +r disks, only rw's need be formatted. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

D2D when winxp burner is enabled requires that you not have a disc in the drive to avoid your problem.
    See http://boards.support.roxio.com/roxio/board/message?board.id=ez6p_d2d&message.id=388#M388

Alternately, download a free prog called DeepBurner, it beats Roxio hands down. Disable xp burner just for the fun of it. Make your tib files 650mb and they can be put on cd or multiples on dvd. Another free prog called Dvdinfo can format your rw disks first if that's what you wish to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.