HD Manager: Can't do incremental backup

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by squarepegger, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squarepegger

squarepegger Registered Member

Hard Disk Manager™, version 2009., build 6730 (26.09.08 ) Special Edition

I did a full backup of my laptop's HD to an external drive. Here's what I ended up with when I used the Backup Wizard:

File name: Paragon Backup - Seagate 120GB_0000p.000
    Size: 41,429,259,106 bytes

File name: Paragon Backup - Seagate120GB.PBF
    Size: 8,020 bytes

File name: Paragon Backup - Seagate 120GB_0000p.pfm
    Size: 388,216 bytes

I'd love to start doing incremental backups to this disk backup, but the archive list is empty when the File Backup Wizard starts! The backup wizard won't accept the PBF file as an archive when I try to add an archive. I select the PBF file and the "Add" button in the Hard Disk Manager pop-up becomes usable, but when I click the "Add" button, the archive isn't added and I can't do an incremental backup.

I'm very sorry to say that reading your Help documentation is not in the least bit helpful because there is no archive in the list when the File Backup Wizard window appears, but I do see my archive when I use the Check Archive Integrity Wizard.

Why is that? I've got a 41GB compressed image of my laptop's HD that the File Backup Wizard doesn't see but the Check Archive Integrity Wizard does. How do you use the File Backup Wizard? Can't I do incremental backups of a full disk backup? Reading your help file just doesn't help me. :(

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Incremental file backups can only be done on file archives, since you made a full backup of the entire hard disk, the backup that you made was an image archive, a sector based complete backup of the entire disk. If you need to do file based incremental backups, you first need to do a regular file backup.

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

You can do Differential backups of the partition/drive, using a previously made Full backup of the partition/drive as the "base" or "parent".

As Matt points out , you can make Incremental file backups, using a previously made file backup as the base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.