Having problems installing Avira Premium 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by buckshee, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

Anyone other than me having problems installing Avira Premium, 2012

*** I have contacted Avira support but this is the main problem I am having

My system is Windows 7 and I currently have Avira Premium 10 installed and have used Avira for years and years
    I downloaded Avira 2012 and attempted a number of times to install it
    The major problem I have is a memory error \\

The instruction 0x012e1a1a referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.
    Click OK to terminate program.

I even reverted to a harddisk image that never had an antivirus installed - same problem.

This occurs after installing the program when it gets to the point of running the components

2. 22ndcitysaint

22ndcitysaint Registered Member

Same thing happened to me. PC lagged when it started running components. Waited for 5 minutes, still nothing, finally did a hard reset. Updated all modules, everything going smooth. After an hour so, I got a BSOD. So another restart and now the computer feels really sluggish. Restarted again, still sluggish. Using Win 7 x32 SP1. Removed Avira and switched back to ESET. :D

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The funny thing is that we both posted at the Avira forum almost simultaneously (within 1 minute). I had exactly the same experience except I didn't get any error, but couldn't even see my desktop again. I feel a bit relieved, as I thought if it is a problem with my hardware it would mean the end of Avira. I'm now convinced that there is something odd going on with Vista and Win7 installations.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Product update should be automated after October13th, maybe you should install V10 and wait for that. I read that in a mods response to a post on Avira's forum.

5. markusg

markusg Registered Member

i think full dumps could be helpfull, perhaps there also driver problems, so you should post an list of hardware + drivers for hardware instaled.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I hope there's a fix about it by then. At the Avira forum they are quick to tag "solved" to a problem still lingering with many users. Buckshee managed in the end to install it, but as far as I could understand his installation didn't complete, rebooting the system somehow to his surprise the program worked.

My post so far hasn't been answered, and it is exactly the same issue.

7. The Hammer

I'll probably check and see what the situation is on the 12th as I have always done clean installs instead of installing over the old one.

8. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Try uninstalling your current version 10 or whatever version you have with Revo Uninstaller.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Then go into your device manager and remove any traces of any drivers that application left behind, directions here... Then do a clean installation.

http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?64229-How-to-Display-Hidden-Devices-Drivers&

You'll be surprised at the other drivers just sitting there from previous installations.

*Please note* Be sure the drivers aren't ones that you need, for the most part the name will be in black and white... :D

Hogndog

9. varunit

varunit Registered Member

Removed Avira Security Suite and installed Avira Internet Security Suite 2012 without any problems ;)

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

@Hogndog
    Thanks for your help, I have partly done everything you suggest in your post, furthermore I don't change security so easily (I don't test other similar programs like some do as a hobby) but your link about environmental variables is very useful. I think I'll just wait and see how the whole thing pans out in view of the automated update. There are too many cases of difficult installation.

11. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Your welcome, i was a beta tester for Avira so my computer saw a lot of software come and go. Everything i know about computers has been self learned gleaning advice from experts all over the Internet. Remember to ask if your not sure about something and you'll do just fine. I learned this tip some two months ago it helped me clean off unnecessary garbage that had collected on my machine over time. I still use Avira even though they've had some bad rap in the past but that's in the
    past.. ;)

Hogndog

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

So this is what happened so far: I uninstalled Look'n'Stop, MBAM, Shadow Defender, Sandboxie, and... abracadabra Avira Premium 2012 installed like a rocket. Finally it's done, but I'm now wondering which from these applications is responsible for the botched installation. I'm fairly loyal to Avira but I'm not going to give up Sandboxie or Shadow Defender. My feeling is that Sandboxie may have something to do with it, and the new Avira doesn't like company. Stay tuned, to be continued....

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I have Sandboxie and Shadow Defender (Shadow Mode: ON).
    I cannot install Avira Free 2012 to give it a try...:blink:
    I had No Avira product installed before.

What the heck is going on? o_O

14. The Hammer

Your other products may be fine with Avira if you add them back in one at a time and monitor the situation for a bit after each install. But as I only use the Free version of MBAM and not the Pro like you do, I wonder if I'll be affected in the same way when it comes time to install 12?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is what I'm going to do next, as you say, I'll install them one by one and see what happens. Consider that Avira would not install after uninstalling Look'n'Stop (Avira's suggestion during the install) and MBAM had its real guard disabled completely, therefore either Sandboxie or Shadow Defender are responsible, and Sandboxie has a long history for conflicts.

I'm amazed how fast is Avira12: I did a straight install (normally I choose custom to stop mail guard) with everything activated browsing and general operations are very fast indeed (may be there was a conflict all along even with Avira10). At this stage I think that you won't have any problems installing it on your system, unless MBAM affects the installation even with its real guard disabled (unlikely).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm fairly certain that Sandboxie has a conflict with Avira12. I've just re installed Shadow Defender and everything is fine. Later I'll re-install Sandboxie and see what happens.

17. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I found Avira 12 to be incompatible with DefenseWall in my system, although another user at the DW's forum says that they run fine alongside in his computer.

Avira 12 doesn't seem to like virtualization.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is confirmed by a user at the Avira forum:
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=136654
    posted by Sloba #6

I think I'll wait before re-installing Sandboxie, see if Tzuk can fix it.

19. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Strange that it works on some systems. It installs fine with Sandboxie 3.58 installed first on my system (Windows 7 x64).

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Your installation went well but there is still an odd behaviour within Sandboxie.

21. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

No, it's just webguard that doesn't have direct access with 3.58. It's not weird behaviour, and it's fixed with the latest version of Sandboxie released yesterday.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

So, it is Not Sandboxie,since DefenseWall users face problems, too.
    It is an Avira 12 problem...o_O

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

After some further testing...

Avira 2012 installs fine with BufferZone. :)

Avira 2012 STILL cannot be installed with Sandboxie (v3.60)...o_O

24. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

It appears the people who are having problems, are using 32 bit systems. Has anyone had problems on a 64 bit machine ?

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Have you reported it on the Sandboxie forums?

So far, I've yet to have a problem installing Avira. However, I am not using Sandboxie on those machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.