Having no facebook can make you suspect?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by x942, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

Article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...ple-without-facebook-accounts-are-suspicious/

Summary:

Overly hyped yes, but still interesting read.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I see this there also

So this could mean that when a father meets a prospective son-in-law, not only should be ask about his intentions and his prospects, he has to also ask what his facebook profile is :D

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Meanwhile, it a secret location, the computers are busy adding +100 to the Suspiciousness Score (TM) of everyone who reads one of those articles and then goes on to create a Facebook account.

><

I probably just got +10 for posting this.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi

I have no Facebook account so that must make me suspicious. :eek:

which is true, that why I registered here to Learn and help about [with] Security. :D

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha, then we have tons of mass murderers here at Wilders . . . including myself!! :D :D
    RUN RUN!!

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Makes sense. Whenever I meet someone without a Facebook account (this has happened so few times I can count them on one hand) it's like... really? are you kidding?

Everyone has one. If you're my age and you don't have one people aren't going to think you're a killer but they're going to assume that you do have one at first.

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi Hungry Man
    But I am older William Caxton, so any book is new me. :D

Take Care
    TheQuest

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Can you imagine if they had Facebook in Germany when the Nazi's took over? The SS would know exactly where to find every one. They could read your Wall and know immediately what you're up to and show up at your house to take you in to custody. :blink:

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I do not participate in any social media. Just don't see the point. I don't care what others had for breakfast and I don't want to share what I had...

10. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

:thumb:

11. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

In other news: "People without Social Security Numbers tattooed on their foreheads, are suspect too".

Color me a suspect. (although, depending on your needs, having a squeaky clean account in your name, isn't a bad idea (gov jobs, etc...). Make a psuedonym account for all your pub drinking exploits and all your friends).

PD

12. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

I respectfully disagree with this article…

You do not need a squeaky clean record for government, you just better not lie on those full scope polygraphs ;)

13. x942

x942 Guest

I agree with this. I don't have one and get funny looks when I mention it. I had one all through Highschool but have no use for it now and the privacy concerns are to much for me to want one.

14. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

This is just another Opinion from another fruitjob, and thats it, its just another Opinion. I never read anywhere that any organization is going to adopt his ignorance? did any of you? please quote me if im wrong!

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What nonsense.
    Mrk

16. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

:thumb:
    He probably just bought a lot of shares, and wants a pay off. :D

17. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

That statement reminds me of the TV phone service commercial:
    We All bundle!
    Compare that article to some of the lists the NSA and FBI have put out. You're suspect if you pay with cash, encrypt, block the view of your laptop screen, etc. The article is definitely hyped but there's also a lot of truth in it too.
    If that's all it takes to make someone suspicious, I can only imagine where I stand.
    No Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, MyLife, or other similar accounts.
    No smart phone or even a cell phone.
    No online financials of any kind.
    No internet accounts of any kind using my real name or info.
    No PCs with modern spyware operating systems or software that can call home with security and privacy measures taken to the extreme.
    No devices, vehicles, etc of any kind with GPS capabilities.
    No credit cards.
    No checkbooks or bank accounts.
    Cash purchases.
    Bills paid with cash or money orders.
    Tall hedges blocking view of property.
    Thick shrubs blocking view of windows.
    Potentially hostile wildlife having free run of the property.

18. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

At least "The Countermail of Anne Frank" might have survived. :)

It is scary that it's come to this, isn't it? It's like taking the kind of scrutiny that a high-level politician would endure, and applying it to everyone.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Are you the guy who lives in that teepee?

20. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Don't answer that (TMI) !!

21. PaulyDefran

Hahahaha! True, my friend, true.

PD

22. PaulyDefran

I want to party with you cowboy :D ( a line from the movie 'Stripes'). I need to get some lions. :D

PD

23. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

That belongs to the landlord.

While those behind this surveillance society (and those who benefit from it) might consider it suspicious, there's no law that says we have to make it easy for them. IMO, voicing a disapproval of this surveillance world is largely pointless and accomplishes nothing. Adopting behaviors or a lifestyle that makes it more difficult or costly speaks a lot louder. As much as I'd like to claim that I do those things I listed just to frustrate surveillance, all are/were done for other reasons.

FaceBook, MySpace, etc. Big waste of time I have no use for. Prefer real friends that physically exist.
    Smart/cell phone. Don't need one. Don't need another bill either.
    Online financials. I don't trust them to secure their end properly.
    Online accounts. No need of them. Nothing I use requires it.
    PCs, spyware, calling home. I'm happy with what I'm using.
    GPS. Don't need it. I can read a map.
    Credit cards. Why should I add 8-24% more to each purchase?
    Checkbooks. When a $5 error becomes $200 in fees, I'm done with them.
    Cash purchases. See above. Any more, I think electronic theft is more likely than physical robbery.
    Bills paid with cash/money orders. See above. Have very few bills.
    Tall hedge. Cheaper, more attractive than a fence. Feeds birds, blocks wind, blooms, etc.
    Shrubs for curtains. Same as above. Keeps the summer sun out.
    Wildlife guarding property. Much cheaper than paying people. Skunks will work for cat food and make an excellent welcoming committee for those who aren't wanted. Makes intruders easy to identify after the fact. Plausible deniability.

Complaining about or voicing dislike of the way things are going does next to nothing. IMO, those who value their privacy and consider it a basic right need to do more to protect it, starting with making it more difficult and costly to invade it. For me, that list is a good start.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There are of course some very viable responses/rebuttals to your inclusions on this list, but without a doubt we'd be going way too far off topic were we to discuss them further.
    I will say that I enjoyed reading your list very much. ;)

25. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I read somewhere recently where someone thought Facebook was becoming "public infrastructure" and should be nationalized!

No Facebook for me. Biggest "me too" thing going and they have plenty who fall right in line and buy their BS that "everyone has one" (or should).

I find it bizarre that young people feel the need to "connect" 24/7. It's like a virtual high school, complete with cliques and bullies.

Have I mentioned I hate Facebook? I've had a good laugh over their losing half their value on the stock market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.