Having a problem...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by grayzweb, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grayzweb

grayzweb Registered Member

I'm totally new here so please forgive if this has already been asked. I searched and could not find.

I use Acronis True Image Home. I made a "state of my system" back up on another drive, then I loaded a fresh install of windows (vista 32bit) on to my laptop. After installing Vista and all of the drivers and everything I downloaded Acronis onto my system, and entered my reg key. - then ran a restore of my backup that I had.

Everything seemed to go well until I logged in and I just get a blue screen with a microsoft error msg that says:
    "Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller stopped working and was closed"

I did this three times now being sure to install the correct drivers. Can I do anything to get my backup back now or is it hopeless? BTW - I reformatted my hard drive before I loaded Vista. - was that a mistake? o_O

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I don't know the reason for the error you're getting, but in restoring a whole disk Backup Image to a hard drive, (if that is the kind of backup you made) there is no need to preload anything on that hard drive. The Restore process is going to wipe out everything on it.

3. grayzweb

Yea that is what I was thinking, but how do I run an Acronis restore without using the software, which means I need to install windows....Unless I just put that back up on a disk and boot from the disk??

Is that how it works? I haven't tried that

4. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

You boot the computer with the same Acronis disk that you used to install TI with (if you bought the boxed version). If you downloaded TI and don't have a disk, you need to get Acronis installed on a working computer and create your own boot disk (search the pulldown menus, its in there).

Then you boot with the disk, which loads Acronis into your RAM, and requires no OS. The good news is since you did your last restore with the OS running that's quite possibly why the restore didn't work properly. If you restore again without the OS running using the boot disk you may have better luck.

5. grayzweb

OK I did not know about the TI download. I did not purchase the boxed version. In the future I will do this. In the meantime, there is not really any way to get the back up that I created previously?

6. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

If you don't have another working computer on which to install Acronis and make the boot disk, you will just need to re-install Windows and any necessary drivers and Acronis so that you can make your boot disk. Then you should be able to do the restore of the original image using the boot disk (I think you said your image is on another disk so I assume its still available)

7. grayzweb

Yes, I am on my desktop. I will try this. Thank you.

8. DwnNdrty

If your laptop is the only computer available, you will have to load the OS then install True Image in order to make the bootable True Image Rescue CD that the other person referred to.
    One gotcha you might run into is that when you boot with that CD, it may not "see" your external drive and that's because the CD runs in Linux which may not have the drivers for the chipset in your external exclosure. But you will not know until you try. There are workarounds - but we will cross that bridge if needed.

9. grayzweb

OK. I am making going to make this rescue dik to boot and then try to load my backup. I will report back my results.

10. grayzweb

OK I booted from a rescue disk that I created from desktop xp machine.

Told it to restore my state of system backup located on portable usb drive to disk C on the vista laptop.

Got msg that Restore operation succeeded. Closed out of Acronis, removed rescue disk and rebooted.

Nothing had changed??

11. DwnNdrty

The backup that you're calling "state of the system", do you remember if you had to put a checkmark against Disk 1 when going through the backup process? If not I suspect you made only a Files and Folder backup.

12. grayzweb

No I don't remember :doubt:

13. grayzweb

I am trying this again, and it maybe working this time :)

The first time it restored in less than 5 min.

This time it is taking 45 min. so it seems as if it is doing something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.