Have you Proved Your Disaster Recovery Systems Works?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Escalader, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Probably has to do with my hardware (I'm thinking hard drive and memory), but ATI has never taken very long for me. I think the longest I've had to wait was about 15 mins or so. Then again I do occassional beta testing for them, and the nice thing about beta testing is that the software ends up a bit optimized for your setup ;) :D

2. coquetview

coquetview Registered Member

I use FD-ISR and backup data and snapshots to a second hard drive + DVD'S.

Planning to add Terabyte image for windows/Dos to cover hard disc failure.

One matter I'm not clear on, though, is in the event of computer theft or fire can my back up image or archived FD-iSR snapshots be successfully restored to a new computer with different motherboard etc?

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I agree with this as I too have FD-ISR. I made a mistake in my Primary Snapshot - ouch! - but then booted into my Rollback Snapshot (my backup if you like) and copy/updated to Primary. I was then back to where I was before the mistake.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes,

I have an external harddisk with my C drive programs (backed up as an image) and my D drive (data).

I have two images of my C-drive: a clean windows install and a current backup.

I use two recovery tools, one is partition expert (when my PC is still booting) and the other one is Bart's PE with DriveImageXML and WindowsXP on CD.

The partition expert recovery takes about 9 minutes, the total disater recovery with Bart'sPE-disk and DriveImageXML takes about 35 minutes to recover. Both work unattended.

Due to my unexplaneable desire to test and trash my own PC (is the security strong enough) I have practised both forms of recovery. Since my last setup (Inbound Nat router firewall + Antivir free + SSM free + DefenseWall paid) have proven to be strong enough to with stand all the (by me) known malware, I was able to stop this self destructing PC addiction.

I can say I have not tested my PC for three months now, so I could theoretically leave the Protection Addicts Anonymiously council in nine months (I may leave when I have not trashes my PC for more than a year)

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.