have you disabled UAC?

Discussion in 'polls' started by lodore, Apr 30, 2009.

?

have you disabled UAC?

1. yes (please explain why)

42 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. no (well done)

66 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    if you are using vista or windows 7 beta have you disabled UAC?
    if yes please explain why.

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have always ran UAC on my machines. Two days ago I got a copy of Win7 RC to try out on my laptop and set it to the highest level.

I don't want to break my no-malware streak which is going on 2 1/2 years now :D

3. sded

sded Registered Member

I have UAC disabled on both my Vista machines. Not so much because it is intrusive, but I use some expensive-to-replace programs that don't run properly with UAC on because of virtual store. I do use Online Armor with Run Safer to reduce the privileges to Local User for key applications like browsers.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Looks like you're a prime candidate for the Norton UAC tool.

5. sded

sded Registered Member

Is there an advantage of Norton UAC over Run Safer? I can currently selectively run applications from LUA and cause all new applications to run as LUA processes unless I upgrade their privileges.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Why should one disable User Account Control ?
    I no longer test Win7 but when I used it I even upgraded the default level to ask for everything (just like in Vista) .

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

AFAIK Run Safer allows high security tokens by default, and applies medium tokens only to select processes, i.e. UAC becomes an opt-in. This is inherently less safer than the default opt-out UAC mechanism because although you may think you're safe if you run your browsers with Run Safer, you never really know which process the next exploit will strike at.

Norton UAC simply allows Vista to "remember" your answer to UAC prompts so you don't get bothered each time. A better solution IMO.

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Two possible reasons for that. One, they're pros who know what they're doing. Two, they're complete n00bs.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Vista64 Home Premium. Disabled UAC causes it's a PITA.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    oh new username;d
    I dont know why someone would disable UAC thats why im asking.
    ive never disabled UAC.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so if you found sudo annoying you would run as root?

12. sded

sded Registered Member

But I don't think this gets around my expensive programs that are incompatible with virtual store. They work fine with Run Safer because they are N/A. And new programs are all Safer unless I change it, so kind of an opt out. Maybe next generation of the programs will be compatible.

13. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

I disable any password changes, and disable all non use accounts and admin, mask the one I use. You should have last user removed so knows who was last on. Each system just says "Server User, Power User, Wireless Laptop User" thus using the aliases to mask the real user name used. Works well still to access all the network systems. Server will only allow the one user access to all shares, all those security risk "everyone, users, remote bla, bla are disabled on shares.

Years ago you were to setup the system/install apps under the admin, then disable that account. Just have Power User or Limited User rights. Still that policy is still in use.

There is so much web security protection against unauthorized access. Do any of you use your GP and SP to tighten your systems. I do..

14. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

I disabled mine because my family's too dumb to adapt to it. My bro's an arrogant, self-proclaimed tech-savvy. My mom and dad are less than your average joe. If they are just smart enough, perhaps I wouldn't have the need assist them in securing the computer in the first place.

15. demonon

demonon Guest

The first thing that I did when I installed Vista was disabling UAC.
    After that I got into policies. Lua SRP etc.
    Now I am testing out a LUA with UAC enabled.

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I got at least 5 times more prompts in Vista than I do in Linux. Maybe 10 times more.

Oh & I run as user in Linux. Lol, accusing someone of running as root in Linux can be considered an insult you know. :D

17. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

What is the purpose to this poll?

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cause use defensewall;)

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I was just wondering LOL.
    I have around the same amount of UAC prompts in vista as I do in linux.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

to see if people keep UAC enabled or not and if not why.
    microsoft finaly implemented something to force lower rights yet everyone complains it prompts to much....
    i used to get alot of prompts but the lastest versions of software are better and have learnt how to work with UAC.
    if microsoft had introduced UAC in 2K or XP by now all applications would work with lower rights.
    UAC had to be introdcued. users are so used to running with admin rights and not knowing its a big risk.
    I hate using XP now. i like using a standard user account with UAC. its secure and i dont have to switch account to do admin stuff.
    the reason sudo on linux genarates less prompts is because at the start all applications were designed to run with only the rights that are needed.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  21. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have been using Vista with UAC turned on for over a year. It adds another layer of protection and doesn't annoy me so why turn it off?

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

And yet, miraculously, out goes their common sense when they switch to Windows. :ouch:

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

One of the best features of Vista, and for people saying it can be bypassed, I say anything can be cracked if it is worth doing it. Personally I'm moving into a new direction (for me anyway) in computer security: I try to keep sensitive material on USB external drives, and re- image my system regularly (every 3 months) with a known clean image. You can't steal anything in an empty system, and I can install a clone in 10 minutes.

24. demonon

demonon Guest

I am doing the same. I have no sensitive information or multimedia files on my internal HD and like to make an image allot. I also restore allot so my system stays in top shape.

25. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I had UAC disabled until I had all my back-level programs updated. UAC objects to programs that want to save user data under \Program Files\ (rightfully so). UAC is enabled now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.