Have we failed

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Bubba, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

[Rant]

"it's xmas and new yr holidays but please a security company should not take hols this long"

Perhaps it's just me....but have we failed our fellow surfers and put them in the posture of hourly\daily security\privacy updates(input product)....is the only way to be protected now-a-days. If the dependency on being protected has come down to only feeling fuzzy and warm when we have the latest databases....We....as a Security community....IMHO....have failed miserably in conveying how best to secure our browsers of choice....our downloading pratices....proper e-mail handling....firewalling....etc.

It appears to me....way to many users are leaning on Big Brother way to much....and not understanding Sercurity\Privacy 101.

[/Rant off]

On a lighter note:

Happy New Years to all our Wilders Family.

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

What changes do you suggest need to be made?

Jimbob

3. big ed

big ed Registered Member

As a computer challenged person who mainly just surfs and e-mails I have been able to stay reletively problem free. Any time I get a blip in my sys. I run to this site asap where there is always someone who can get me back on track. Failed? I think not!

Play on, big ed

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hey...Bubba....It's Christmas....Relax....You can't carry us all, we're too damn heavy.....if we get ourselves into trouble by just taking our eye off the Ball for a second, we'll recover.... :D :D There are too many good people here to jump into the Breach should some disaster befall us.....you especially will be there to put us back on track Mate I have no doubt......For my part I'm amazed I can still find the room my OS is in after the amount of Booze I'am pleased to say I have consumed.......and to prove it...you won't believe how many times I have had to go over this Post and correct typos..... :D :D

Take Care....Worry not....and have the very best 2005 you could all ever imagine.....Cochise has spoken....... :-*(So I don't want any excuses)..

Cochise, :cool:

5. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

Hey there Bubba,

I will admit that i'm not the best writer in the world, but I really think that people have to be interested in their how their computers works before they want to learn security 101.

I have to admit that i've been a lurker here & at dslreports for the most part for a long while now, but ive learned a lot from you & many other people on how to secure my computer & not just rely on security tools only. I hate to use the old car analogy, but relying on tools without an good understanding of windows is like having a car mechanic with $5,000.00 worth of tools that can't troubleshoot car troubles.

After reading so many interesting posts & articles I started reading books on network security, learning how to properly setup IE, writing filters for proxo(what a pain!), using plain text email, understanding router logs, etc. The list goes on & it keeps growing everyday. I'm no guru, but my computer has been clean for a year & that says something, doesn't it?

The war against crap on the internet is an ugly one, but you can't expect to win the battle overnight. Even if people like you get one person interested in the fight, like me, then isn't it worth it?

Have a happy new year everybody,

Clowny

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Bubba,
    An ounce of prevention is truely worth a pound of cure. That would include updates as a small part of it. I guess I am gulity too, "I want my update" :mad: :oops:

Happy New Year to you too and thanks for your dedication to the work that is done here at the Wilders as well.

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Happy new years Bubba--you do a great job here!

8. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Don't worry Bubba. The only people who truly fail, are the ones who don't care about their security at all. The Internet is an ever changing place. There are always going to be hackers who want to take advantage of anyone they can find, just to get their jolly's, and see how much trouble they can cause. Personally, I'd rather go through the pian of having to update on a daily basis, than having to reformat. Much less pain that way. And I hate pain. :D

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yes, the real failiures are those people who don't bother to secure their computers at all.

10. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Bubba - now listen to Peaches. :) There are no failures only those who choose to be failures. I have received an enormous amount of valuable info here along with help when I needed it. Occasionally I add my 2 cents worth. If it wasn't for the advice received here I would not be running as secure a computer as I am now. Moderators here are doing a great job and I for one appreciate the time u and others give so patiently and unselfishly to help those of us who need it. I might also add, I like the way the forums are run and the nice community of people here from all over the world of all ages. Keep up the good work - like a fine wine each day u only get better as does this site.

Luv Peaches

11. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Yep!......Peaches has summed it up quite thoroughly!..........So I'll just second that!
    Buck.

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Beautiful

Oh man.
    Dont worry.
    That is the type of introspection that keeps this forum on the rails :)
    A touch of seasonal weltschmerz and angst.
    Looking into the abyss will do that to us all now and then.
    The cost of freedom.....
    For evil to triumph...

My second child born the day you made your post.
    You help keep the lights shining as both beacon and to illuminate the dark corners.
    You do make a difference.

I used to ride a shortboard :D

Happy new year to you and yours.

13. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: Blunt ole wildman says: Damn good site, damn good info. all because of damn good people. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him/her drink. I think that about sums it up.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: ;) :D :p

14. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Any "failure" here is Microsoft's doing, not this forums' nor the security industry's in general. Features have been added to Windows on the basis of being "cool" rather than being "sensible" - compare the structure of Windows to that of Unix or mainframe operating systems which are designed for reliability and security first and foremost, and the shortcomings of Microsoft's architecture should become apparent.

15. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Happy New Year Bubba,

It all should start with Security 101..but i find that users only learn(or have time) how their OS really operates and the Browser really works, when they do start using third party Security programs and then many do not even understand the alerts..logs..etc..but they are hooked into using them and then never locked down the OS or the System, muchless seek an alternate browser.

Microsoft's architecture needs more than just patchs and SP's.

Hang in there Buddie..you are doing fine job here at Wilders.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.